1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gravel drive ways

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by John O., Aug 11, 2005.

1. John O.

John O. Member

new to plowing and i think i will have a few accounts that have gravel driveways how do i plow them without pushing all the gravel too?

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Couple of ways:

1) Use your plow shows... not perfect, but will stop most of the gravel from being dug up if set properly

2) Use the "manual" float method... drop the blade the raise it up about an inch and plow trying to keep the plow at about the same height (i.e. raise and lower it manually to match the terrain

3) Some say that polyurethane cutting edges work great at floating over the gravel I have no experience with them so I do not know.

4) I know a guy who clamps a pipe he cut a large slit into to the cutting edge...

I had one gravel drive way last year and I used shoes and the "manual" float method, the customer was happy so I guess that is all that matters.

3. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

The shoes only work if the gravel is packed well and if it isnt to deep. What I do is back drag the first coup;le of times till it freezes over real good. After that the ice will lock the gravel in real good. This year i have a rubber cutting edge that im going to try out. Ive been told it is much easyer to plow gravel with it but I havent had a chance to try it out yet.....Rob

4. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i drop my blade on the drive and then tap the up button which raises it barely off the gravel but it does pick the weight up so it won't dig into the gravel it seems to work good for us. we only plow one gravel lot so i don't no how well it will work in other situations.

5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

10/4 on the plow shoes early season ! I do one account residential that is about 1/4 mile 10 foot wide then opens up to 35 by about 125 and you can dig in pretty good when it is not froze up. You can do the bump up trick but on long runs your digging in and you will feel her pushing harder. Not sure with the new rig how it will work out (Cummins probally wont flinch). Therefore I found it is worth my time to drop the shoes down a couple three or four washers ( so the edge is up about a half inch). Then let it rip in float mode. This is a fairly large account so swapping the shoes up is worth it to me. I actually have 2 gravel roads and parking areas and they are last to get done so I change them for these 2 and then move them back up for any cleanups and then my house last lol. Anyway once the gravel freezes up tight you wont have any more issues and can run like your plowing on pavement.
    Todd