1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gravel/Asphalt Grindings for Salt Bin Floor

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jb1390, Dec 14, 2010.

1. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Anybody use gravel/crushed stone/asphalt grindings for the floor in their salt bin? Anything to be especially careful/worried about? I know obviously to not dig right down into the material-leave a couple inches of salt to prevent scooping large particles. I also will be re-installing the screen on my spreader, I hadn't used that for a few years.

I know ideally I'd have it paved, or pour a concrete floor, but I don't have cash I can invest in that right now. I can get an unlimited amount of asphalt grindings for free from the town, provided I shovel them into the back of my truck.

The only other place I'd have to put the salt is on my driveway (paved), which is uphill from the garden. Given that salt wreaks havoc on plants, I'd rather not try that route (again).

I have 2 rows of mafia blocks for sides-the bin will be plenty large enough for my purposes.
  2. J Nobel

J Nobel Junior Member

just a thought we have put sand down in the past it doesnt matter if you scoop some up then