1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Grass Cutting Vs. Snowplowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Vaughn Schultz, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

For all of you that cut grass and landscape in the winter you can probably relate.

Do you ever find your self bidding out commercial lawn accounts at snowplowing prices 120.00 an hour :p . I keep doing this! Mentally this is what I have ingrained in my head of how much i should make. I keep having to remind my self that this is CUTTING GRASS not plowing snow :nono:

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, it gets real depressing when winter is over that I have to look forward to 8-9 months of steady work to make the money I can make in just a few weeks worth of snowplowing. :(

3. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

My plowing wage is almost double my landscaping wage. 20 hrs. and its a weeks pay. Not looking forward to cutting grass.

4. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Just remember though, grasscutting is 29-33 weeks of steady work and steady income that you can count on. You can't count on snowplowing!!

5. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

One other thing, 90% of my plowing comes from my lawn customers, commercial and residential. If I didn't have them, I would have to go out and knock on doors for plowing business.

6. cbelawn

cbelawn Member

Upstate NY...you know its going to snow....

7. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Oops!, my bad. I forgot that everyone on here is from upstate New York.

8. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

This is why i dont cut grass. I install tin roofs in the summer and most of the winter. I use plowing as a supplemantal income.

The overhead compared to income with landscaping sucks.

9. Plow Dude

Plow Dude Senior Member

I enjoy cutting grass better than plowing. I owned the lawn service for 2 years before I started plowing, but all of my customers kept asking if I plow, so I knew if I bought a plow truck I could make some money. I like the fact that all my customers pay up front for the winter, so I get a huge lump sum of money all at once. I get more satisfaction out of cutting grass and Its less stressfull because your not always on-call. The second you try to go on a vacation it will snow while your gone, and then your screwed.

3 dixie choppers
    1 Toro 52'' walkbehind

10. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Plow Dude, I was the same way, I landscaped for a couple of years before I started plowing. I almost had to plow to keep customers happy, they want to deal with the same person for everything. Plowing is just the iceing on the cake and keeps customers and gains new ones. I got a call yesterday from a person to plow, I called her back, went and plowed her driveway, which is out in the country, and I picked up a mowing and landscaping customer for this spring and summer. I primarily work in the county or country for you city folks, big yards, big houses, lots of landscaping and beds and you get the total package year round.

11. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

75% of our company income is from snowplowing......so when it comes to warm weather service, we dont have to work as hard. payup