1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Granite SW removal of all snow off site. NO LOADER ALLOWED

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NW Snow Removal, Sep 13, 2011.

1. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

the site has about 600 granite blocks used as sidewalk. each block is worth roughly $4k. We need a way to remove the snow without a loader going on the SW. Last year the contractor broke some stones with their loader and they never want another loader on site. Im telling them that we have to have a loader, but we wont take it on the SW, just use it on the street to load snow into dump truck. the sidewalk is about 11k sq ft. We will use snowblowers and shovels to clear the sidewalk off the curb to the street then load from there. I figure 1 semi load under 3 inches, and 2-3 loads for up to 6 inches.

2nd question As far as ice-melter I am wondering what you would use. They have used calcium in the past so I am considering doing the same. But these are beautiful pieces of granite and she doesn't like the residue left behind by calcium.

It sounds like they should have installed heaters under the rocks to get this job done the way they want. Im at a loss for how to do this without it costing them an arm and a leg, which they can obviously afford, but I hate charging sky high if I don't have to so I figure I'll ask you guys. thanks for any help.
  2. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

pay yourself handsomely. and do whatever neccesary. they can afford it. thats the american way!
  3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

4. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

UHMW cutting edges on the snowblowers might not be a bad idea. Or an atv with a UHMW cutting edge? The broom is a great idea also.
  5. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

What kind of property is this?
  6. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

x3 on the broom, the best way to clear snow with causing no damage to the property IMO and I believe that protech is coming out with a broom attachement designed for snow removal specifically
  7. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

power broom would be my 1st choice... onto pavement and then snowblower into dump trucks.. no loaders needed...
  8. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

I ran a broom all winter 2 years ago on our skid. It would work great in your situation if they let you drive the skid on it as long as not touching metal down. We did run brushes with metal bristles mixed in and they worked better but would scratch the he ll out of te granite so I would make sure its only poly bristles.
  9. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

lots of bare ground liquid....or smiliar product
  10. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

It seems as tho they are spending some serious cash in snow removal and replacing stones every year. Why wouldn't they just bite the bullet and install underground heating. Not to expensive and simple to do. Seems like their most logical step.

If not, I wouldn't touch the stones with any machine. If the base under any stone is off a bit, even a small track machine will break them in the winter. To risky. Just single stage blowers then. Time consuming and tedious but money is money. I know guys that would work in poop all day for the right money!