1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Grain bin for bulk salt storage?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by plowfever, Jan 30, 2011.

1. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Guys do you think a grain bin would work for putting bulk ice melt/salt in? I have a set up at my house that I can use the bin back my truck in the barn and load from overhead from the bin. I thought this would be a sweet set up if it would work. I just hate to put 20 tons in there and find out that it wouldn't work. I can store in the barn on the concrete but then I would need a loader or something here to put it in my truck. I just figured this would save me some dough and be a perfect set up as the auger would break up all the chunks. Let me know what you think.
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I can say without a doubt that the salt will not come out of left there for any lenghth of time. In a perfect world where the salt is completely dry it work but I wouldn't even try it. Plus the abuse your leg is going to take filling it I just don't see the sence. We have out own elevator so I know exactly what your talking about.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I agree, I dont see that working out.
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I like your thinking but have to agree with Dave.
  5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Not to mention how fast it the metal will rust out.
  6. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

not a bad idea in theory, but would cause a lot of problems.
  7. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

There's a guy here in town that does just what you're describing for some of his salt. I wouldn't worry about corrosion any more than you do for fertilizers, which are at least as corrosive as road salt.

Try it and see with a small load, not too much to lose, and if it works well, will be the cat's meow.
  8. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I thought it would be to good to be true. I was trying to figure out a way to load up without having to haul my loader home or buy another one.