1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Grades of Rock salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DaveOhio, Feb 23, 2003.

1. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

Ever noticed the variance in grades of salt? In both bags and bulk, it seems to particle size can really vary. I'm getting a lot of "fines" lately. The fine salt is better for sidewalks. It disappears too quickly and can clog in spreaders.

Give me the larger pieces, blue if possible. In a Morton bag the pieces strain at the bag like a supermodels nips. Here comes more snow & ice; a very good Winter in NE Ohio.

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

I'll second your great winter in N.E. Ohio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I had a conversation about this just the other day. The guy who runs the warehouse where we get our salt told me he can tell the consistancy of the salt as he's unlaoding the pallets from the trucks. The finer the salt the more compacted the bags get. He pointed out two stacks of pallets and the stack with the finer salt was fully a foot shorter than the stack with the coarser salt.