1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Graders anyone?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by lars, Apr 18, 2004.

1. lars

lars Junior Member

Remember when the road grader used to be the mainstay of any township road department? Around here most townships don't have one or have an old one (20+ years) lying around unused. I'm assuming that they are not used now because most roads are now paved and new graders are very pricey.

Who else has noticed this and is anybody working with townships that still use them? I guess I'm looking for an informal "grader survey." I think graders are great pieces of equipment. They're big, they're loud and they can move lots of dirt.

2. BigZ1001

BigZ1001 Junior Member

See them used quite a bit in this state for grading shoulders and such. They actually see alot of use in the winter as well with alot of hills.

3. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I know that our county has 6 or 7 graders, all of them are fairly new John Deere's. Around here they use them on the gravel back roads, where is usually just a farm or two. And also use them in the winter on a few of the county roads that drift really bad. Plus our county has its own hot mix (black top) plant, so they use them to grade the road bases, they service all the roads in our county and in 2 neighboring countys as well.

4. fordsrule

fordsrule Member

My town DPW bought a new grader just so they could use it snow.:rolleyes: Theres no real dirt or gravel roads in town. They used it once when they redid the field at the high school but thats about it. I think its a Cat grader.

5. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

A neighboring town with like 1 dirt road bought a 772 Deere all wheel drive w/ the snow wing set up. Seems like a big waste to me, especially w/ the amount of snow we get. Guess if you have the money tho y not spend it.

6. cigam

cigam Guest

JD & Volvo Graders in NH

My town has an old John Deere (1983 I think), with a front plow, wing plow, and it's a big grader.

They also just bought a Volvo with a front plow, wing plow, etc. Also very nice.

They seem too long though. Around here (NH), the town roads are narrow.

I like the more shorter graders you know, the smaller ones. They seem good. I've seen them in Maine in some towns as most of those roads are really really narrow.

7. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

This is my road punched out with a grader and a V blade the banks are over 10' high

Bill

blizzard 015 (small).jpg

8. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

our township has 2 older ones.... they don't even move in the snow.... was talking to the guy that runs the public works the other day... they bought a $55,000 infared pot hole machine two years ago and haven't even moved it since they got it.... townships in NJ are jokes......

9. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy Member

I remember in 2003 during our big storm down here (VA) they were using a grader on the beltway, right around 270.

10. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I just bought this yesterday for something to do this winter if it doesn't snow. Plan on restoring it. it has 6 wheel drive and not in to bad of shape.
    1964 Austen-Western Super300. Now I have to buy a sand blaster so I can get it ready to paint.

Austin Western 001.jpg

11. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Nice machine Dwan!

My father had a old Cat 12 that was a spitting image of your Austin-Western. I can't remember the year, but it had the little pony motor that started the N/A diesel. And the diesel had a decompression switch that had to be disengaged once it started to puff. What a nightmare to start in the winter. Most times we would just pull it with a truck or loader to start it!

How do you like those ancient dog clutch levers? After 8 hours of operating the grader your arms feel like they'll fall off.

12. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Oh - I just noticed. You have hydraulics to move the blade. Good deal. I'll never operate another machine that uses dog clutches to move the equipment.

Enjoy your new machine!

13. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Thanks, I got a lot to learn and it looks like no one to teach me.

Well taking it back to the lot the church next to ware I got it asked me to grade there lot. Then when I got back to the shop I had a call from a bus storage yard that reconised me and wanted there lot graded. last night when I was steam cleaning it my neighbor came over and wanted his mini storage lot graded. I just have to learn to run it now.

14. jiriki87

jiriki87 Member

City of Steamboat Springs has 6 or seven Cat 14 H's with wing plows on them. The plow around 15-20 mph through-out the city with traffic. They also run 3-4 cat It 28 G's with 12 foot plows on them. Don't mess with the road graders when plowing. These guys have their routes down- - making 90 degree turns with the scarifer and side plow down at almost full speed.

Peter

15. lb59

lb59 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Anyone ever heard of the Galion Road Graders?
    They are a big name in road graders. road rollers and Grade Alls.

How about Bucyrus Erie drilling rigs ?

The Galion plant and the Bucyrus Erie plants are in a couple of small towns about 125 to 150 miles north west of me.

The towns are
    Galion,Ohio & Bucyrus , Ohio.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  16. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

Galion graders are a Nice Machine--I have a Bucyrus Erie Shovel--Here graders are still a popular Items--Here in Augusta,MAINE our PWD hads several graders--after 11 PM they Pull Snow off the Side walks-& curbs into the center of the street--where a snow blower mounted on a Big Loader blows this Snow into Dump trucks & its hauled to our Snow Dump!--& just so you don*t get Confused?--Time Wise!- the Graders work in teams of two & it don*t take E*M long to do a street--then Loader & trucks take Over--as the graders do another Street--so No ones in the others WAY!--& NO they don*t do Every street--the main Business Sections-& main Arteries--Schools ECT--Works pretty GooD! if I were 25 again--thats what I would Buy--like Our freind in ALASKA--Hes NO DUMMY!--as WORK will come to HIM & He won*t have to Advertise!--Niether!--I remember operating an Ole CAT--Crank Grader--where I had to Stand UP all DAY--& Crank my Butt OFF!--the New Ones are TiT to operate!--that new VOLVO WOW! some kind of Machine!-big Bucks Though!--any ONE know of a Small grader thats for SALE-CHEAP?--Ole JIM--

17. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Thanks for the good coment there ole Jim.

18. HIGHWAYMAN

HIGHWAYMAN Member

we have two graders one galion and one dresser we don't plow with them we use them on dirt rds. make ballfields things like that we also use it to patch with hottop, rebuild the crown and firm up soft spots have to be good to do hottop theres no time to make misstakes

did dresser buy out galion? dwan nice grader (not to big)

19. lindsayC

lindsayC Junior Member

Interesting. I did not know they still made Gallions. I have not seen one for a long time. We used to rent one years ago when any of our graders broke down. They were quite a machine when you had to stand up to run it and it made for a long day. They also were not to forgiving when you snubbed the moldboard while scarifing the force would pull the levers in the cab and they say some operators broke bones in their hands. Currently running a 1976 CAT 12 & 1995 CHAMPION 720 Graders w plow and Hydralic wings. Graders seen to of lost out to trucks because of plow speed and sanders. I still like the Graders better than Trucks. No offence to truck drivers but Graders are more versitile and can use moldboard ,articulation and wing to get out of the ditch when nessessary. Just don't forget your tire chains they won't plow much deep snow without them.

20. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

around here they still use graders to push snow banks back. They rarely use wings on any of the trucks since all they use is belly blades. kalamazoo has 10 or 12 graders.