1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Grader vs loader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawntec, Sep 2, 2014.

1. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

We are considering the purchase of 3 loaders this year. I not that experience with equipment this size. Currently we have 3 M110 Kubota's with HLA snow wings. They are great for certain areas. But for large parking lots....what should i be getting...a loader or grader. I know ill get 1 loader for loading trucks for sure..but:

1) What is the advantage of a grader vs a loader?

2) Where does each one of them shine? Bear in mind we ar -20 all winter so scraping ice/snowpack is a large concern of ours.

Thank you for the help.

2. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Loaders for parking lots

I plowed roads for 7 years before I started with large commercial parking lots, I did all the road plowing with a Grader and wing. When I started doing parking lots I thought the grader would have a place but found it nearly useless, with any amount of snow I could make 3 or 4 passes moving the windrow over then would still need the loader to move it to the stockpile. I found loaders with pushers are much faster and with packed snow or ice just the bucket cuts it up much better than a grader could. It is harder to find good grader operators than loader operators, plus a loader is cheaper to run than a grader. If you had long roads along with your parking lots you may have a little grader work and with a front push blade on the grader you may get a little work done but it would not come close to what a loader can do on parking lots. I have not started my grader in the winter for at least ten years.
    Hyperpack

3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Agree. Loaders. If trying to scrape clean, bigger is better. New cutting edges too.

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I build parking lots and roads for a living and I can tell you unless you have a large lot like Walmart or Home Depot trying to turn a grader around is a pain in the @$$. Loaders all the way for parking lots and contrary to popular belief on this site, bigger isn't always better

5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

When I worked for Maine DOT I plowed with a John Deere 670G with a V plow and wing a lot. It worked great for pushing banks back and scraping ice and hard pack but, it was to slow (compared to a truck) to plow roads with all the time. I used it to plow the parking lot at the shed and it made quick work of that but, I think a loader with a decent size pusher would be quicker. If you ever run into a situation where there is a lot of ice and hard pack you will love a grader but, I think overall a loader would be better for parking lots.

[​IMG]

6. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

There is a guy around here who uses graders to windrow and loaders to clean up and I tell you it is something to watch. Most of the time he gets straight to black top and boy does it work fast.

7. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Loader with a pusher would be my pick.

I could see an extremely experienced blade making short work of some snow but there are far more loader operators out there.

Another thing to consider; which machine will you have more work for in the off season?