1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Grade 8 or better hardware near Albany, NY

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by aloe, Dec 14, 2014.

1. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Does anyone know where I can find grade 8 or stronger hardware near Albany?? I'm tired of shearing off my cutting edge bolts! Last Wednesday i sheared all but one off. Managed to limp home, luckily I was close

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

DO SOME RESEACH HERE BEFORE BUYING HEAVIER BOLTS

sorry, cap lock was on

3. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Ok, done. Grade 8 can be too brittle....grade 5 will bend. I have grade 5 & they all sheared off. I'd like to try a set of grade 8 bolts. So, anyone in Albany, my wanna point in a direction??

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Do you have Fastenal up there? And how exactly did you shear them all off?

5. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Not sure...I know I picked up 3 new accounts & the entryway, near the sidewalk was anything but smooth. Trip edge worked, ect. I started raising the plow around those areas tho. I usually lose one-two during a good storm. But seven in one night?!

6. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Never sheared one. Ever.

7. kimber750

I am with Bean, have never broke a cutting edge bolt. I have even hit hard enough to have plow jump up against stacking stops.

8. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I take it back...sorta. never busted a plow edge or bolt. We have sheared cutting edge bolts off loaders. Hitting curbs that weren't there last time of course lol.

9. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Also use a washer then the nut....Ran into this issue last year.....

10. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Tractor supply sells grade 8.

11. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

If you want the VERY best hardware,go to your local Cat dealer.Cat has even stronger bolts than a grade 8 designation.

12. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

May try that!!!

13. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

They all had washers....not so much this time as the slush had packed every crevice.

14. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Well....plow model may have something to do with it. It's a homesteader. With the rubber trip bands. Yes the plow trips but never really springs back. So you actually have to back off whatever edge you're stuck on! Perhaps that is causing too much strain on the edge bolts and weakening them. Idk?!? Saw a guy in mass on CL had designed a reinforced horizontal center tube that has regular metal trip springs attached to it. Considering a little upgrade for this plow as I e gotten quite busy this year. Not sure a new plow is in the budget till next year tho

15. kimber750

What are you plowing with the homesteader?

16. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

What or why?

17. kimber750

What, homesteader is not built to put up with heavy plowing. They are for home owners to do their own driveways. May not be able to hold up to the type of plowing you are doing.

18. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Omg ..........

19. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Possible yes....most of my lots are flat & smooth. But these 2 new ones have some serious cracks in the concrete pad. Maybe that's why.

20. snoworks1

snoworks1 Senior Member

Aloe,

It is more than likely that you are using this "light duty" plow for a commercial application. If I had to guess the problem probably has to due with plowing speed and the angle of the mold board and cutting edge.

Slow down and see what happens.

Sincerely,

Chuck B.