1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gps

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by K&N Snow, Jan 6, 2009.

1. K&N Snow

K&N Snow Member

I am looking in to buying a GPS system for my fleet and I was wondering if any of you run one? Has it saved you money and how much? What did the system cost, and how much is the monthly fee for tracking?(per unit) Any other input will help.

2. Stripe This

Stripe This Member
    from NJ

I have a friend that spent $30k on outfitting all of his vehicles and equipment in his fleet...I'm guessing 10-15 units. Think he said in the neighborhood of $35k. He loves it and swears by it.

I went a more economical route...GPS tracking through the cell phone. It's worked for us and cost us an additional $25 per cell phone.

3. I think this is the one I am going to go with. Its cheap (I think about $150 but dont quote me) and no monthly fees. Grant it you can't track live with it but it tells you everything the truck did when the truck gets back to the yard.

Check out the "Vehicle Tracking Reports" on this page:

http://www.advantrack.com/hw_junior.htm

Andre' is my sales rep.

4. NeroGPS

NeroGPS Member
    from Toronto

Hey K&N, let me know when you would like to do that online demo

5. Mustang

Mustang Member
    from NY

Driveway Doctor, I believe I had the previous version of the unit you're talking about; the shadow tracker jr. I don't know how your planning on using it but if it works the same way that unit needs to be disconnected from the vehicle and attached to your computer to download the info. The unit works fine but there was too much play involved with it. All drivers knew where it was and how to diconnect it since it had to be brought to the office at the end of the day. There were times when the power had mysteriously gone out and data was missing. Also, the units were dropped and they did not hold up well after a while. I was ordered the p2 unit.This unit can be installed covertly and downloads automatically when it comes within range of the base unit so one needs to know where it is installed or how it is wired. This unit, as the j2, does not give you real time tracking either. Just something to think about.

6. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I'm considering the daily/weekly downloadable versions also. I like the idea of it beaming to the base unit when close. But if it didn't and my guys shut it off or data was missing, that would only happen once. Then the guy would be gone. If they are dis-honest enough to shut it off, then they are dis-honest enough to steal from you.

7. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Here's a funny GPS story.

I bought a box of 35 old used Blackberry's at an auction. I taped one to each of the zero turn lawn mowers under the seat. After a day I pulled my guys over and showed it to them. I told them I had been down loading all the information for the last week. I asked if there was anything they wanted to tell me before I told them about the information I had. You should have seen their faces. They were thinking back about what had happened during the week. I said, "now that you know its there." I will give you one more week to make it right."

It only took about 2 days before I ever time I saw them I would start laughing so I had to tell them. I still have 30 or so left if anyone else want to try it.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There is a article about GPS systems in this month's Snow Magazine

9. NeroGPS

NeroGPS Member
    from Toronto

10. pdmissle

pdmissle Member

Is anyone else using a smart phone GPS tracking company? I'm still trying to find a good one. I just got off the phone with crew tracker but they're out of their mind they want $12,500 for the first year, and $400 each year after that!

11. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I have it on 5 trucks... $250 a month

Its great, guys tow the line knowing its there... Shows idle time, speed, turning to hard, live... it sweet.
    It still saves us money with guys lunchs.., Everyone says a 30 min lunch, its more like 45 -60 min..

Helps with customers saying we didnt mow, guys saying we did..
    On our guys time sheet we have a box to write which truck number your in each day..
    Found guys stopping by there house... $200 fine or fired they choose

Love it, makes all the difference, can't trust help in this industry

12. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

What company do you use?

Im really hoping I can find someone that does it via iphone and ipad. I use them for my crews so no route lists and it would be awesome.

13. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict