1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gps.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PremierLand, Nov 29, 2007.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I need to get a GPS for one of my plow trucks. I need to be able to type in an address and tell me how to get there, or better yet, type in my entire route.
    know nothing about GPS systems. I would like to spend under $300 for one. Can someone tell me what I need to look for or what a good brand or model is or where I could get one online if not available from Best Buy or Circuit City.

Thank You.

2. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

I've been looking for the exact same thing for my 2 new drivers. Only ones I can find are point to point, not multiple points. So I have been making them drive the routes everyday lol.

Tom-Tom has a 920 GPS that you can speak the adress instead of stopping to type it, but they are over $400.

3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

whats wrong with printing them off on mapquest and stapling them together or putting them in a binder?
    not too try to simply it but i drove a delivery truck once and all i used was mapquest maps.

4. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

DO NOT GET ANYTHING OTHER THAN A GARMIN. The StreetPilot C330 will do your trick just fine. I have been in charge of purchasing these units, and have tried every other company out there. I have purchased 16 Garmin's already and WILL NOT change.

5. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I dont feel like doing that with 60 accounts for my one route. Not to mention everytime a house is added instead of printing off a new route sheet i need to print off a new mapquest then search through all the mapquest printoffs and fit them in accordingly. I rather spend the money and get something alot eaiser.

6. millratf250

millratf250 Member

go with GARMIN.:waving:

7. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i have a garmin c340 and love it, it wont do a route, but when you have all you're houses saved when you're done plowing one and go to you're list it will tell you which is the next closest house. so you just click the next closest and boom your there.

8. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

I use my laptop and microsoft streets. when I was repo'ing I would have 30+ addresses to look all over town I could type them all in click optomise and it would give me a starting address and make a big loop around town ending at the office.

9. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

150 bucks. now that sounds doable and like it would be worth having.

10. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I have the 330 as well.
    plug and play, really anyone can use it.
    simple and fast

11. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Yaz, that thing is worth $1,000,000 to me. It doesnt get any easier or more clear

12. DJMAUCTION

DJMAUCTION Member

I have a tomtom 910 with the hard drive, no worry of maps or sd cards, can be updated with the laptop i keep in the truck, other truck has a tomtom 700, the thing about the 910 is that its true text to speech, it tells you the streets as well as the turns, it is handy when theres traffic or snow issues causing the road to be closed, instantly tells you another way to get to where ya need to be... there pricey, and most people dont like the cutsie name, but it has have saved me hundreds in gas, hours in time. and it plays music, has bluetooth for the cell and has traffic and weather info, and yes those cost money too..... I write it off at the end of the year....

http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=404&Category=0&Lid=4

13. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Wow, it does routes too? I checked out the link, that is amazing. I just might have to have one of those. That thing has everything but the kitchen sink.

14. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

I just got a garmin C340, pretty sure its the cheapest text to speech one out there. It says the street names and when to turn. I got it for 190, they've been on sale alot lately for 199 during the holidays. My brother works with gps, he's kind of a gps junkie, and i went to him about what to get. Couldn't afford the 4000 dollar ones he uses but he said garmins good too. haha.

15. ljbev

ljbev Senior Member

Garmin

I have the Garmin Nuvi660 was 799 everywhere got it for 519 on buydig.com. It is great 3d maps programmable for truck only roads. More than one point destinations, blue tooth mp3 player. They have cheaper models in the line that just give the directions and stuff. As far as I know garmin is only one programmable for trucks if this is an issue in your area

16. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

Go To Ebay I Just Got A Tom Tom For 100.00 With Shipping And I Absoulutly Love It It Is Dumb Dumb Proof

17. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

I got my Garmin nuvi 350 for $250 on e-bay. works mint. I have heard a lot of bad things about tomtom, from it shutting down to it sending you down the wrong way of a one way street.

18. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I use Field force manager on my Verizon phone. Let met me route, insert new stops, take stops out...track progress and payments. 27 per phone...works for me.

Plus I can see where my guys are.

19. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

gar c330 they just lowered the price on them because they came out with a never 530 version. c 330 is anywhere from 130-200$ now.

20. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

I just bought the c530 at cabelas for 200. Also gpsnow.com has great prices. I bought a 60csx from them.