1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GPS tracking system inputs

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bobloblaw, Dec 4, 2012.

1. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Junior Member

Hello all. does anyone know if there is a way to connect a GPS tracking system input to plow functions...specifically plow up and down on newer Western plows We are trying to do this electronically through the wiring harness and not have to add a mechanical type switch. Bob

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You could use the down / float to send a signal telling GPS that the plow is down so whenever the green float light is on GPS would know the plow is down. You could also have GPS drop the plow on that wire but would you want to?

Some of our bigger units are linked up to the float function as well as ground speed, road temperature and air bag pressure (for sander load) and sander conveyor & spinner speed.

3. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Junior Member

gps tracking

Hey thanks for the info. I have been able to monitor the float with the older 8 wire systems but not much luck with the 4 wire controller. It seems to feed straight to the housing on the plow itself without any switch wire leading to it. I am digging deeper today....any ideas? Bob

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I assume you are dealing with the new multiplex controller with four wires to the handheld. With that one you will have to go under the plow hydraulic unit cover. There you will find that you can tie into the output from the plow control module or "decoder". I believe that the center plug, port B, has the control for the down coil / float function. All the coils are feed full time twelve volts, the controller just complets the curcuit to ground. Find that ground wire for the float coil and you have your signal. Just put the plow into float mode and then check which coil has magnatism, that's the one.

5. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Junior Member

Gps tracking

Thanks Mishnick, you just confirmed what I thought I discovered today. I took the cover off and according to my schematic one of these coil feeds form the plow module will be my float function controller, I just wasn't sure of the voltage and draw these will accept. I am going to loom a wire to the plow with a wheatherproof connector alongside the power cable and should be good to go. Thanks again Bud.