1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GPS tracking devices

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ultimatelawns, Nov 28, 2013.

1. ultimatelawns

ultimatelawns Member

Looking for software to track where my drivers are at. What do you guys recommend?

2. tbi

tbi Member
    from CNY

Stay away from Fleetmatics.
    Take a look at Virtual Fleet Supervisor. $100 a unit and $25/month and you can mothball them off season.

3. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

What don't you like a about fleetmatics?

4. tbi

tbi Member
    from CNY

Cost, customer service, installation and arrogance.
    Besides the fact everyone is a Vice President yet know nothing.
    Not mention their installs resulted in several minor wiring fires.

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

We have fleetmatics and nextraq. Once our contract runs out with fleet, they'll all go to nextraq.

6. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

7. 1olddogtwo

8. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Nextraq.com not too expensive unless you have a lot of trucks, but still pays for itself in only the first snow storm to resolve disputes.

9. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

olddog... do you have zones created for our snow accounts so that you can print the report per request of the client to show entry/exit times and datestamps for the account?

We set them up but i can't find how to run the report to display the date/time? lol.

10. 1olddogtwo

We have them on my regular job trucks. Our IL division runs Nextarq. The MO, division has fleet, I use Next more then Fleet, I would be lucky to remenber the password. After we merger in Jan, we compared both and decided to use one.We have over a 100 with Next and 60 with fleet.

We do have geofencing set up at our 8 shops in IL but have never had the need to run report. I'm driving to KC right now, I can try on Monday when I fire up my CPU. I do get emails for damn near everything, maintenance,speed,entry,exit, and driver farts.

Think next is 20 and fleet is 35 per month.

11. 1olddogtwo

I should at the email triggers can be set at whatever threshold you want as well as the triggers, movement,speed, idle, No movement, etc.

With my plowing contractor, we use aother type of Equipment track and event recording that works thru phones. I can't comment anymore on that

12. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

I will second tbi's post and say Virtual Fleet Supervisor.

We use Virtual Fleet Supervisor in all of our trucks 365 days a year and love it.

It also had lead directly to the firing of 8 dishonest employees this year.

I will never go back to the day when we have a truck without GPS.

Every new truck gets a Virtual Fleet Supervisor GPS device installed in it before I even consider it part of our fleet.

My ONLY beef with Virtual Fleet Supervisor (and it can be a big one) is sometimes their system is buggy and does not report on some units for a period of time. Which is INCREDIBLY annoying if its happening in the middle of a snow storm for example.

Just hoping as time moves on they clear out the bugs.

13. ultimatelawns

ultimatelawns Member

Thanks for the help. I am pretty sure I have a guy that is doing stuff he shouldn't be and can't wait to catch him.

14. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

We run nextraq.com

Love it.... Pays for it self every week with guys lunches

15. snoworks1

snoworks1 Senior Member

We use Nextraq's as well. They helped me make a custom program to track trucks and also to have customers log on(up to 5 at a time per piece of equipment). Very easy to use as well!

CGB

16. cbservicesllc

cbservicesllc PlowSite Fanatic

Can you expand on the custom program?

17. snoworks1

snoworks1 Senior Member

I signed up with Nextraq's thinking it would be a good tool to help improve my business. After using it for a year, I came up with the idea of using it as a marketing tool. I called them up and asked how I could get the program to be changed to only see certain windows for easy customer navigation. I also asked if they could set up additional log in's per piece of equipment(standard to have just 1). They did both for me at no additional cost.

So basically, my customers can log onto their designated route and see where we are in our snowplowing operations, if they want to.

CGB

18. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

That is a great idea!!!

19. snoworks1

snoworks1 Senior Member

Thanks,

I added a link on my website and they can log on right from there.

It has worked well with signing first time customers. I have some other tweaks and changes for next year, I will see how it works out and update accordingly. Basically, lots of possibilities with using this product. The money is well spent. Even better, during the summer months I put all my trucks on suspension from service and only pay $10.00 per unit, per truck.

CGB

20. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

Anyone with a small fleet use myfleet24? For just 2 trucks it's free. So I suppose with 3 trucks it could work if one is the lead truck and doesn't need to be tracked.