1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GPS Navigation

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WOODY367, Dec 11, 2005.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Anyone have GPS Navigation systems. I am looking into getting one for all the trips I make and for plowing. Whats a good system to get without breaking the bank? I was told that the TOMTOM 300 was what to go with. That it already had all the maps in it. Can anyone help I don't know much about them. Thanks

2. esshakim

esshakim Senior Member

get the tomtom 700 its a better unit completely i have it my self

3. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I have a Garmin street pilot. It's expensive but I think one of the best available. Go with touch screen and expect to spend over a 1g.

4. Pete7

Pete7 Member

I have a great setup, it is the Garmin iQue--it is a palm pilot made by Garmin. It has a flip up antenna with a GPS, when the antenna is up it acts as a GPS. I have a mount for my truck and one for my wife's, so I can takeit with me. WHen we travel I have a portable mount just through it on the dash of a rental.
    The best part is it can synch with MS Outlook. So I have my schedule and contacts with me at all times. It will cross reference your contacts with locations so you can route to people easily. It is great in a storm, when accidents shut down roads you can just keep driving until it reroutes you.
    I use it often even if I know where I am going since it gives you constantly updated ETA's, can find nearby food :) , and if you are busy on the phone you just have to watch the road not worry about remembering where to turn.
    I would highly recommend it. I paid about $500, almost two years ago.
    I used to have one of the Garmin ones that is just a GPS, the screen was not color and was small, plus the processor was super slow, this thing is fast..
    Pete

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

For the price of the tomtom 700 you can damn near buy a factory navigation system.

6. chironorm

chironorm Junior Member

magellan 700/ 760 on ebay

you can get a magellan 760 with touch screen and voice prompt and all that jazz for 500.00 on ebay. it also has a feature that will automatically reroute you if there is a traffic jam up ahead. color, touch screen, maps loaded, and all of the window adapters, cigarette lighter plug, ets...

7. frostservices

frostservices Member

Do you have a laptop? If you do just get a gps receiver that plugs into the usb ,and mapping software. I got a delorme earthmate gps LT-20 and street atlas 06 for $93 on e-bay. It have voice and everything nice setup,plus I can enter my sites in as I do them.
    Seth

8. NDdude

NDdude Junior Member

Or better yet, the bluetooth TomTom receiver (normally used with people that have pda phones).

I was thinking about the gps though, wouldn't you be able to enter in all the address of your accounts and have it set up a most efficient route between them all? It would also be a good way to not forget any on the long nights ;)

9. esshakim

esshakim Senior Member

with the tom tom you can program your routes in their, its a little over priced but as far as quality is concerned that unit in my book is worth every dollar

10. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I bought a Garmin Streetpilot 2610 for my wife for x-mass two years ago and she thought it was useless. Now she can't live without it. It's a great thing to have when you are traveling because it can help you to find gas, food, lodging, services etc... also tells(via. voice prompt &/or display) you how long till you are supposed to arrive at your destination, automatically reroutes you if you miss a turn or get detoured. 2-3 years ago it was about $800 now they are down to about $550.

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

FYI I am pretty sure Tom Tom is made by Garmin and rebranded by whatever company for Tom Tom. Looks awefully similar to several Garmin units.

12. Tahoe1889

Tahoe1889 Junior Member

Magelan 700

I would go with a Magellan 700 or the new 760. They are Great and quickly tell you you are going the wrong way and how start back in the right direction. Also nothing to wire just plug into your Cig. lighter. Suction Cup to the Windshield.

13. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

That's exactly what I do. I use Microsoft Streets & Trips 2006 and I love it. I put the laptop on the passenger seat. The GPS receiver and the Streets & Trips came in a package for about $100.00 which is a LOT cheaper than a stand alone GPS unit.

14. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Never had a need for one, as I live in the smallest state and I know where everything is. And when driving out of state, I only go as far as NY or NJ, so I know where I'm going then, too.

15. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

I recently purchased this http://cgi.ebay.com/Lowrance-iWAY-500C-GPS-Receiver-MP3-NAVIGATION_W0QQitemZ5841244445QQcategoryZ73332QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Lowrance unit and I love it. I paid $600 for it. It's got all of the US and Canada maps built in. It talks to you and tells you when to turn. It's got hotel, gas, restaurants, service stations, etc. built it. Plus it's got a 10 Gig mp3 player built in.

I use almot daily for my storage container business and recently for going to price residential plow accounts.

16. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I am still looking into which one to get. I have been told by 2 local places that the TOMTOM has had problems with the signals to them . They have had many returns. I have been told to go with the GARMIN 330. I don't know. I want to make sure I review all before I spend that kind of money.

17. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

For the price of all these listed items just go buy a laptop and get a map program with GPS sensor.. same price or less maybe, and have a huge screen, more features, full color, and the laptop has about 2 gazillion other uses as well!!!!! And about double that many if you use it for business use! LOL... I run a power inverter in the truck ($40) and run a printer in there, great for estimates and invoices on the spot, really impresses customers alot, they are taken back by the organization and professionalism that this portrays.