1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GPS for state subs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cat320, Oct 22, 2003.

1. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

On the new just now state will be giving GPS to subs to keep track of dount shop stops.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Cat my uncle came by after he picked up his GPS. Its just a cell phone that doesn't work ;) He doesn't even know how to program it so it should make for an interesting first storm.
  3. myo

myo Senior Member

Yeah I saw it on the news last night, Nextels with GPS to keep track of Private snow plowing contractors for the state. They claim last year the spent 65 million dollars on snow plowing and nextels are going to reduce that cost. But how much does it cost to equip each private contractor with nextels?

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

my nextel 58i has the gps feature

havent fig.out how it works

5. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

This GPS phone stuff is interesting- anyone know how it works as far as tracking goes? I understand how you can look at the phone and know where you are, but the ability to track drivers is a very powerful "motivational tool"
  6. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

tracking drivers

A bud of mine sells an Alarm system for vehicles that you can go on the net and track the vehicle, speed, direction of travel, etc. And has a pager of some sort that lets you know if that vehicle goes outside the owner defined area, It has a monthly service fee and it is a bit pricey but if you're insecure about your drivers......
  7. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

i saw that news reel about the gps for the subs.

i sell the software for nextel phones to track via GPS.

You track them (1 or more) on the "dispatchers" PC. Not only will it tell you where the phone is, it will track your route (good to see what areas are covered/overlapping/not covered), time stopped, and miles driven. In real time you can locate the phone, see how fast its going, in what direction. They can set "alerts" for speed, time stopped, and "geo fencing". (alerts dispatch if your outside/inside a restricted area they have set) You can also send automated directions via text messaging. The software is also a time clock. Turning on the phone and booting the software clocks you in. Exit the software and it clocks you out. Theres even more features.

Initial investment:

Nextel i58 or i88 or i730 or i205 phone. You dont even have to have a full plan to use it. You must have the Total Connect pakage though (1MB) Most guys add Direct connect with Two way messaging.

Software runs $17-10 per month per phone after a flat rate licencing fee per phone. Its really not that expensive to run.

Need more info..........PM me!

8. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

It's funny how this came up today. I got a call from NECN today asking if I plowed for the state.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Slplow me too! Also got a call from WBUR radio. Too bad we don't do state work:D
  10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Now guys don't go hollywood now that the tv stations are calling :nono: :D pumpkin: lol
  11. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I would like to see how many nextel phones the state and towns pay for with taxpayer dough . Everyone has one
  12. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

A while ago, I was looking at a "search and rescue" website, and several of the pages had to do with the future of SAR. It described advances in the next 10, 25, 50 and 100 years. In the long term it essentially said, "there won't be any need for search capabilities--we'll always already*know* where you are..."

Sure seems like a step in that direction....
  13. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

guys here in ma. are having a fit. They had a big meeting last week and the paper said they all agreed to turn in there phones. As of last week 200 of em did.

The state if firm on putting this though.

I did get a letter from the state and it put sugar on the whole mess. They must of got a lot of feed back from the guys.

Anybody know of a number I can call to join the Mass. snow and ice contractors association?

I'm going to plow this winter one way or another I've been laid off and need the money for sure. No unemployment,etc.

I think it' ll go o.k.

most guys worked hard.
  14. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

if your doing your job, then gps wont have a negative impact
  15. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

I'm worried and not worried if that makes sense.

I'm worried theres some guy on the other end who never plowed highways before and starts making decisions made by what he sees on a sreen, in Boston, etc. , while I'm 60 miles away.

In the 5 years I've plowed I've never been one to leave and go see a girl friend or what ever or slack off when I shouldn't. But we do need out breaks to help get though the nite. Usually when the salters lay salt and we wait to let it eat up the ice before we plow it off. Or when the storm starts to wind down and roads are clear.

It'll be interesting to be sure.
  16. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

i wouldn't be worried. the people that are using the software are the ones that have been there before. sure if your going to screw off then you will get caught now. extending your break by 5 or 10 min isn't what there after.

there are tons more features of the software than simply tracking someone (although it's one of the most powerful).
  17. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

Details, details! Remember, this is the government! $2000 laptop computers for ever junior high student, but "Vote Yes For Children!" on the referendum cuz they don't have any money for education. :confused:
  18. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

I know. I've used gps for about 9 years, and not only have on my boat, and others, but I carry two during winter hiking up in the Whites. I record every hike and load it to my pc's programs for info and saving data for another day, etc

19. GeeMC

GeeMC Member

20. NHSnow

NHSnow Junior Member

Let me see now. The state workers are watching the subs.

But... who is watching the state workers?

Seems to me that by only putting them in the vehicles of the subs they are implying that there is no problem with how the state workers conduct themselves.

Does anyone know if the state highway trucks have the same technology?