1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gov't wght QUestions?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wingnut, Jan 23, 2002.

1. wingnut

wingnut Junior Member

Hey fellas. I 'm wondering as far as the gvrt wghts are concerned, How much is on my front end end w/o my plow on. I drive a 99 GMC Yukon. ( by the way is this truck built on the same chassis as a GMC 1500 Pick up?) I know the front end has a gvt wght of 3600 and I know my plow wieghs 606LBS, so how much does my front end wiegh w/o my meyers 7.5? Also Can someone tell me the differences between hafl 3/4 and 1ton ? Is that the actual wieght of the vehicle? I performed a search on this stuff but the things I found were to specific to apply to these simple questions. Anyone who can give any feedback on my truck and it's front end capacity, frame and just the vehicle in general would be appreciated:)

2. GMC4x4

GMC4x4 Junior Member

hiya wingnut,

i cant give you specific weight answers, but can help with your general questions.

the 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton vehicle ratings are not the actual weight of the vehicle, they are related to the payload of the vehicle. i beleive they used to be the actual payload, but i'm not sure that is still the case. with a heavier duty truck you generally get bigger brakes, heavier duty springs, axles and steering components to name a few, though sometimes some of these things are the same on 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. as far as your yukon goes they are usually given a 1500 or 2500 designation. 1500 is 1/2 ton 2500 would be 3/4. 3500 equals 1 ton but i dont know if they make 1 ton yukons.

I'm sure someone will come along that can help with the other questions.

Greg

3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

That would be the easiest way to disscribe it as GMC4X4 said when it comes to the differances of the weight classes. As far as what does your Yukon weight? The only "way" that you can really find out is have it weighted. I understand that the manufactures do the testing with a full fuel load and a 175 pound driver in the truck. First weighing the whole truck and then just the front and then the rear axles on the scale. Alot of your material yards or villages will weigh you for a small fee, or you can use the pay scales at a local truck stop. Ask an over the road trucker on how they check out their axle ratings on the scales. Hope this doesn't confuse you more.

4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Whew! Had me worried when I saw the title "Gov't wght questions" - thought the "Gov't" stood for Government and we all know what getting THEM involved in anything turns into............ :mad:

Regarding your questions, I don't know about modern trucks but back in my era ('70's) the Blazer/Jimmy, which is essentially what the Yukon is, were built using suspension components and chassis similar to the pickups.

The front end weight of 3600 that you mention is the maximum weight the manufacturer has rated the front end to carry. To find out what your front axle weight actually is, do as Garagekeeper mentions and have it weighed on a truck scale: Your total weight with both axles on the scale is the Gross Vehicle Weight or GVW. Front axle weight is determined by placing only the front wheels on the scale, same with the rear axle weight. All 3 weights should be within the numbers specified for your truck. (It is possible to be overweight on an axle while still within the maximum GVW: when I hauled flatbed for a few years proper placement of things like steel coils was important. Eaxmple, I could end up being within my GVW of 80,000 but over the 34,000 I was allowed on my drives (tandem axle group, 17,000 per axle) if the coil was too far to the nose of the trailer.

An example in your case could be too heavy a plow on the front of the Yukon, which would cause you to be overweight on the front axle but still within your total weight for both axles (GVW)

Boy, I hope I haven't :confused: you as much with this as I have myself!

As far as 1/2, 3/4 and 1-ton goes, those are the nominal cargo capacities. I say "nominal" because while at one time, they probably were what the truck could carry nowadays the actual cargo capacity is quite a bit higher. A typical "1-ton" can probably carry a good 2 actual tons (4,000 #) of cargo depending on how it is spec'd out.

5. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

This reminds me of the time that a guy came into the supply yard I was working at and ordered some retaining wall. After seeing that he was driving an s10 and knowing the weight of the blocks, I told him it won't carry it all. He started trying to explain to me the GVWR and the front and rear GAWR. Not wanting to listen to him ramble. I told the yard guy to start loading him. Anyway, before all the product was even loaded, I could see by the look on his face that he realized he was wrong. He then said that it wasn't his truck, he had borrowed it from his neighbor. :rolleyes:

BTW, he ended up making three trips to pick it all up.

6. GMC4x4

GMC4x4 Junior Member

***He then said that it wasn't his truck, he had borrowed it from his neighbor.***

LOL! imagine the look on the neighbors face when this guy comes rolling back home with sparks shooting off the rear bumper.

7. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Now if you want the chuckle of the day seeing that we have been talking about truck and axle weight. I had a guy in the shop that said he has a friend with a Western 8' Pro on a 1999 Dodge 1500, he was pulled over by one of the local police officers because he was pushing snow into the street. (I don't know when this was because we have had barely enought snow plow) I was to understand because he "mouthed" off to the officer he ended up with a few tickets. One was issued for over weight on the front axle, he was taken over to the village scale and they weighed his truck. And so going by the trucks front gross axle weight rating he was over 500 lbs over. He said it cost him over $500 to drive away. What it make me think about is do we have to carry around the receipts of spring & tire upgrades in case this was to happen to us if we had installed a plow on a non compliant truck? Any other Ideas?

8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Idea's??

Dont mouth off to a cop!

Dont push snow in the street!

Dont put a big plow on a small truck!

Dont pee in the win......OOPPSS, Nevermind.