1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

government job, i think

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kent Lawn Care, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Okay, i was approached by my local government, the village officials here. well, they were asking me if i would contract myself out to shovel off delinquent residences. ive been thinking about it today, and ive come up with many pros and cons, just wondering if any others are experienced with this. thanks a lot.

2. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

If the agreemant was that it came after ALL of your customers were serviced, and the pay was worth while, then the only thing left to consider is ... Will They PAY ????payup

3. .

well, I wouldnt have to worry about going in til 24 hours after th snow stops falling, the local official would call me with a list of address' to clear. asfar as pay, i ould give the villag a price either by the foot, our, etc and they wuld pay me, then the village would worry about collecting from the individules

4. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

DITTO........

5. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

hope its in a good area not worth getting shot.well i should shut up because i plow a set of projects down in the center of new haven.not to bad the police station is right next door.but also make sure they pay and its good pay.plus your regular customers come first.good luck

6. .

although i dont ahe to worry about that around here. three letters do come t mind CCW

7. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

your going to have to spell that out for me bud.not much of a brain over here lol lol

8. CCW

Carry Concealed Weapon

9. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i do.i have a state permit.i also carry a baseball bat.had to show the gun once last year.but other than that its not bad.if im in there at three AM i have a cop come to stay with me until im done.
    but i would rather do things out of the city.theres just more money to be made in the city.

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

Geez...up here we get hassled for a baseball bat.....let alone a concealed weapon.

All I ever carry in a bad area is my 5D cell Maglite :)

11. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

better than a bat!!!!

12. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well when 5 black guys come up to you and you can see that 2 of them have guns in there coat pockets you gotta let them know that your packing to and your at least going to get one round out and one of them will be shot.i have nothing against black people its just a bad area.

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

You got that right !! :D

14. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i don't know about the flash lite but i've seen my uncle do some damage with a slugger batt so thats why i stick with that rather than the flash lite.the bat was recommended by many people that are in my uncles line of work lol lol lol

15. Temco

Temco Member

Just curious, whats a "delinquent residence"?

16. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

People that are too lazy to shovel the walks themselves .... I would guess there is a town ordinance that in the event of snow, the residents are responsible for making sure that the sidewalk area in front of their house is clear ... silly rule, but it is supposed to save the muni money.

17. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

$50.00 fine in my town.they give you 24 hours after storm to have it removed.same as lawn cutting can't be higher than 6 inches or its a $50.00 fine for each day its not mowed

18. Temco

Temco Member

oh ok, good thing my town has sidewalk plows then!

19. MLB

MLB Senior Member

Wanna bet :nono:

20. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Trickey, I would do it per ft. & per inch.
    Say X ammount per foot for 1-3", X ammount for 3-6" & so on....
    Make sure it's worded where the village will pay you no matter what.
    If it's set up in any way where the village will collect the funds from the home owner then pay you, screw it.

Per. Hr' I'd have to give that great thought as most walks take only a few mins. and it could get very complicated when billing.