1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Government Bids

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by timme4, Sep 12, 2007.

1. timme4

timme4 Junior Member

Does anyone know where you can find out about any government bids in your area. Ive looked at the states website, county and different cities but havent found too much. Also, does anyone do any work for the government? Any info is helpful. Thanks

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Yes and 99.9% of the time its LOWEST BID! Its a PITA to bid it, a PITA to get paid!

3. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

If you have a big dump truck with a plow and belly blade go to your county road commision and ask if they sub out any of the roads. Mine does. I got the bid app yesterday. I don't bid it for many reasons, but one is that last years bid was only $65 an hour.

Contact the City you live in and ask about bidding snow plowing. Many of them bid out truck driving. You must have the insurance requirements and a CDL.

I plow the sidewalks for the City owned properties. Yes it was the lowest bid, but $200 an hour for 5 hours worth of work 20 time a year is not bad.

Bottom line, you have to just go face to face and they will point you in the right direction.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Yea I'd say thats pretty good! lol. I'm surprised our city doesnt sub out sidewalks, the cheap bastards just leave it pile up or fine the business owners $300.00

5. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Last year the City was thinking about plowing ALL the sidewalks in town, some 210 miles. I played with the numbers and it would have been around $8K per time. That would have been sweet. They fine the business or residents that don't keep them clean, but it takes forever to do it. I feel sorry for the guy that has to walk through it to get to the bus stop so he can go to work.