1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gotta repaint my 810. What should i use?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by maelawncare, Nov 2, 2008.

1. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Well its time to repaint the bad boy. Starting to rust pretty good. Just wondering what kinda of paint you guys think i should use?

2. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

When it came time for me to repaint my 810 I used spray cans. I know it probably wasn't the best but it looked good and lasted longer than the original paint! I cleaned off any loose paint and rust as best I could with wire wheels and a 4'' grinder. I hit the bare spots with primer and then used rustoleum white and black. I painted the white before I put on my new edges and snow flap. I masked off the pump and hit the a frame but it wasn't too bad to start. In between coats I used a maroon scotch bright pad to rough up the surface. I think I used like 4 cans of white and 1 of the black. After I put on the new stickers ( i like my stuff to look original ) I put a couple cans of high gloss clear over everything. I held up quite well, and I didn't looses any stickers ! It worked so good that the day I got my new s.w. I clear coated it when it was brand new, and again last fall. Call me crazy but it looks really good for a 2 year old blizzard that sees alot of salt !!! I have pic's of my repainted 810 some where I'll try and find them. I nice thick coat of brushed on paint would probably be the best ,but sure it doesn't look the same !!! Just my $.02, shaun

3. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

We have 12 Blizzards and every April we strip them down, wire-wheel all the rust off, paint on a rust inhibitor, and then put on 2 coats of Rustoleum (with a brush, not a spray can). White for the white parts, and black for the black parts.

4. maelawncare

what rust inhibitor do you use? and how hard is it to brush on the paint instead of spraying it on?

i have been putting fluidfilm on it for the last 4 years. and forgot to this past winter after the last storm. so its rusted pretty good.

5. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Lay the Tremco Tremclad to err

6. maelawncare

huh whats that?

7. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

We use SkyCo's OSPHO... It's a liquid that you brush on, and it eats away the rust. You let it dry overnight and paint right over it. My only complaint with the rustoleum is that it goes on fairly thin, so you can see any deep gouges. (http://www.ospho.com)

Only takes about 10 minutes to paint (touch-up) each plow after you've cleaned it up. It's all about preventative maintenance, and not letting problems get too big before you try and fix them.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  8. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Also, a buddy and I both bought 810's last season and plowed the same lot with them. I washed mine with soap and water after every event, and he just rinsed his off with a hose. His had twice as much rust as mine after the one season.

9. KCGman

KCGman Junior Member

I'm thinking about using Rust Bullet on mine. It is a grey rust inhibiter paint that you can paint over with almost any good paint. They recommend 2 coats. It's a lot less prep than Por-15. I will then go over it with a white where it was a white and a black where it was black.

10. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I always used to wheel off the rust, roll on two coats of Rustoleum gloss white (same thing as Tremclad, for the one who asked about it). Lasts way longer than spraycan paint, that isn't even worth it in my opinion.
    This year I'm getting a freebie, a truck shop is sandblasting it and painting it with some sort of Imron truck and equipment paint. I'm hoping it will stand up good, I plan on trying to keep it clean this year, never used to bother washing it, and it lives outside year round. But if it doesn't last, at least it was free and I got a big headstart on the rust by having it professionally sandblasted.
    My friend is cutting and welding in the new pin bushings, somehow he got the truck shop next door to do my plow for nothing because he wanted them to sandblast the part where he's going to weld first.