1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gotta love the Weatherman!

Discussion in 'Weather' started by grandview, Dec 2, 2007.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

After a week about this big Lake effect snow we were going to get all of a sudden he changes his story. Now it wasn't how much snow we were suppose to get,it was size of the storm over so many states!:gunsfiring::jester:

2. Little Jon

Little Jon Senior Member
    from Buffalo

Which dumby where you listening to? They were saying how it would all be sat-sun, then last night at 11 they switched to mon-tues. :dizzy:

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

They never change, Most of use, can look at the map and go just as good of a job

4. Little Jon

Little Jon Senior Member
    from Buffalo

I find that sometimes I can do a better job, they get to complex with all their computer models and crap, that they dont just look and watch anymore. Today they were showing their "new" system that calculates storm totals from the radar. According to their computer the city got 1.8" of snow. According to my eyes we got close to 4.

5. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

to many times during the summer months i canceled concrete jobs because they were calling for rain. that stopped half way throught the year. wake up look at sky, look at weatherchannel.com at the radar. and then make decesion from there. i want his job wrong more than half the time and making over 75k a year

6. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

our local stations go on about their new doppler radar, nexrad , forewarn predictors,computer models, lighten locator ect...i wonder how much a tv station spends on all that? ...they aren't any better than years ago when they had none of that

7. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

I love how they say that their is x on the ground based upon their radar. The other night they said depew had 2.45" of new accumulation. If their was .25" it was allot

8. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

They have the only job in the world where you can be wrong 90% of the time and not be fired.

9. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

boy your right about that. if wooster only got 1.8" like they claimed why was i getting calls "can you come plow our parking lot again"?? what a joke we had a solid 4".

10. grandview

I think we should send the Weatherman a sign that says"Kick ME"! Last night they said rain with some wet snow mixed in. Snow started at 3:15am stopped 5:15am 4 inches of wet again.Good thing I watch the one guy because he wrong most of the time so I was ready for it!

11. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

u can get 4inchs of snow in 2 hours man id hate to be on the roadcrew

12. grandview

OK. This what the weatherman said today 12/12 at 6:20pm Starting Thurs. at 7 am thru Thurs night. My area is going to get 3-6 inches by the time it's over. So Thurs. night I'll come back here and tell you what we got. Let's see how right they are.:confused:

13. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

well i am on long island new york.......they dont know whats going on.......we have 1" of sleet and now rain.....wish i could fight fire like they tell weather........we get it right 100% of the time......i guees its more..:drinkup:...and less...payup for me

14. Little Jon

Little Jon Senior Member
    from Buffalo

Seems like they got it right this time. Started snowing around 8am and when it was done about 4.5" down. Lets see if the "big one" that they are hyping up for thisweekedn turns out to be anything. If it is payuppayuppayup!!

15. javaman70

javaman70 Junior Member

Sounds like the weather people in the Pocono's. they say i got 4"..... I see 7". :confused: I know I'm getting older but damn I'm not that old yet.

16. Little Jon

Little Jon Senior Member
    from Buffalo

The best was tonight, or was it yesterday, I dont know its late and I just got back from a second trip plowing, anyways they showed a map of "official" measurements made by live people and then their computer map of snow depths, wow, it was 2 different maps, not even close!

17. grandview

Ended up with 4-5 inches. Ended up going out during the day and clean the rows out. Then headed back out at 9 to clean up.This weekend now we may get 8-18 inches Sat night Sun morning See how that works out.

18. a.m.animal

a.m.animal Junior Member

Hey scott,i have'nt heard back from john yet,but thanks again for the insider.Im not looking forward to this upcoming storm at all ! Goodluck this weekend and hope all goes well.