1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gotta do something

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Detroitdan, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

nothing is working! I've put down rocksalt twice, nothing, no surprise there, used some cheap icemelt, nothing, used some better icemelt last night, still nothing. Everywhere that isnt pavement is packed ice due to that freak storm last week. I've got a couple customers with dirt drives and can't get rid of the ice. Temps have been staying pretty low, up around freezing during the day. I've been spreading the ice melt by hand, was going to buy a walk behind spreader, now I'm thinking I may need to be able to sand instead of just salt. At least with the sand down they can drive over it. What do I need to spread sand/salt mix with? A big spreader is out of the question this year, no money this winter. I would like either a walk-behind or a hitch mount, but I can't find anything that says it will throw mix. I don't want to spend a few hundred bucks if I can only throw icemelt pellets with it. Is there a walk-behind that will throw mix, because I've really been leaning toward a walk-behind rather than a truck mounted unit.
  2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

It's supposed to warm up a bit tomorrow. Hopefully it will get above freezing long enough for that salt to start working.
  3. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

salt or ice melt then come back in one hour and plow the ice then treat one more time and you should be fine. A hand full of ice melt wont do anything too 3 in of ice
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

What I did was run over it with a tractor bucket loader. Had the loader tipped like a plow blade so it roughed up the ice. Then I could throw down sand (or salt if you want). Then we got a little layer of snow the next day but it wasn't slick like it might have been. I have a 2 yard Vbox, but I also have a small push type spreader that you use to spread grass seed. Works well for sand/salt mix. I also use to have one of those cheap hand-held ones that worked, but didn't hold much. I gave it away to a customer, then wished I hadn't. Just haven't gotten around to getting another one.
  5. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Dont be shy and put that salt down heavy. If you are using bag salt you need more than bulk salt.
  6. Detroitdan

well, I've been putting it down real heavy, but it isn't working at all. I mean NOTHING, not softening or making hoiles or nothing. I may as well be spreading snow on it. Mick, what kind of push spreader is it?
  7. Surfside

Surfside Member

Have you tried Magic O salt ? Try a treated salt such as Magic O and scape at the warmest or sunny time of the day.:drinkup:
  8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Vigoro. I think it was around $30 a couple years ago at Home Depot. It has adjustable openings that I just open all the way. Occasionally I've had to bounce it on its wheels to get the salt (I use Magic -0 treated salt as well as sand/salt) to run out. But it does a good job for a small area like the end of my driveway.
  9. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

we threw down a bunch of anti-skid after that last storm. We tried running it through the spreader and that didn't work very well. So we loaded up the dump truck and tailgated the stones on those icy jobs.
  10. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

Try using the Magic salt. Stuff works great. You can buy 40# buckets, and just spread a little down by hand. Talk to Matt at NH ICE MELT. his number is 603-792-2292. Or NHICEMELT com is his site
  11. Detroitdan

cant get into that website. Got a link, or any other info? where is he located?
  12. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

13. Detroitdan

thanks, I'll check it out.
  14. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

the cheap little green spreaders work ok (scotts)just have to bounce the spreader sometimes to keep the product flowing,something else we use from time to time is a weedburner,they have some cheap ones at farm and fleet or harbor freight or a pavement supply co. the work good to get some heat on the salt and get the salt/water brine to start its process.just get the torch and use your grill tank.
  15. sunriseturf

sunriseturf Member

It may be too cold where you are. Try calcium chloride. That will work up to 25 below. Use a lot of it. Let it start melting it's way to the bottom. Then when the sun starts beating on it(if it gets any sun) plow it then re-apply.