1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got to try out my new tree shear today I think I found my Christmas tree!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by SNOWLORD, Nov 27, 2012.

1. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

2. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

Looks fun. How fast does it cut a tree that size?

3. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

nice machine!!! how stable is it to move with a tree on it?? whats the biggest size it will take?

4. Polarismalibu

Polarismalibu PlowSite Fanatic

That thing is awesome! I sure could use one of those at my cabin in the summer

5. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

We need a video

6. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Thats a huge tree!

7. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I would have imagined a larger machine is necessary for that tree. Nice.

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Is that machine heavy enough to be able to lay that tree down all the way to the ground or do you have to pick an open spot and drop it?

9. Jim74

Jim74 Member

What made you go with the aftermarket tracks and not get a track machine? Can you change back to the tires easy? Nice set up.

10. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Maybe a dump question......What do you do with it now?

11. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Drive until it tips over. :dizzy:

12. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Probably stuck it in his front yard?

13. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Sweet! I have all the same questions as everyone else, and one more... How easy did it shear it?

14. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Well first of all I am not the worlds best shear operator. But I sheared 16 trees all the size of the ones in the pics, at a customers yard. It shears up to a 20" tree and does it in about 5-7 seconds. These were all pine so shearing was very easy. I carried each one out to the street from his yard, then laid them down in the street where we cut in thirds and used my log truck to take away. I was surprised how stable it was when carrying them around the skid never nosed at all and once I got them to the street I played around to see what I could get away with and honestly I could get pretty wild and they hung right in there. All but 2 of them I was able to lay completely down on the ground and pick right back up and the other 2 fell out of my grasp when I got about 6 ft from the ground. The track set up are the Loegring bolt on units and I love them we put them on in the spring and take them off in the fall. It takes about a half hour I dont like dedicated track machines as in my opinion are terrible plowing snow. The customer where I did these trees was very happy as his lawn was virtually as clean as when we got there any mess was in the street which was easy to clean up when done. I tried to sell these as christmas trees to the city but no go.

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Very cool. What does a shear like that cost?

16. Marek

Marek Senior Member

What do you think each tree weighed ?

17. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

The shear costs 12k As far as how much each tree weighs I dont know rough guess 3500-4500#'s.

18. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

looks like it would cut down on man power and time alot

19. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

I love that attachment. Awesome.

20. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Just gotta make sure you watch out for power line on the way to the street