1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got the truck ready for winter

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by asps4u, Oct 20, 2010.

1. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

Back in April I was hauling about 2400lbs of boulders in my trailer down a dirt road and the trailer hit a hole in the road that I did not see in time to slow down. The trailer lost control and drug my truck with it causing me to go do some involuntary "off roading" into the woods that lined the road. I hit many trees, stumps and large boulders that were thrown from my trailer, until I was finally stopped by a large oak tree. There was a good amount of front end damage along with many dents & scratches all over the truck as a result. Since I had to replace the front bumper and grille anyway, I decided to change them to chrome just to make it different. Total body repairs exceeded $12,000. I've owned many trucks through the years and the majority of which have had the painted parts, so I decided it was time for a change since it's been about 15 years since I had a truck with chrome. I also own a body shop, in addition to my plow business, so if I don't like it after a while, I'll change it back. I'm currently working on a backup light design to go in the rear bumper. The old painted rear bumper that was on this truck is my new template to see how this works. I'm tired of replacing backup lights that hang under the bumper, and I don't like back racks, so with the lights being in the bumper, they should stay protected. This way, each season, I'll just swap the rear bumper and be good to go.

2. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

some more...

3. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

4. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

5. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

couple more....

6. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

Finished product

7. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

Now in the last week, I've done the suspension and mechanical work and finally got it done and ready this afternoon...

All new ball joints, new tie rods, new u-joints, new rear main seal, new pinion seal, all new brakes front & rear, new exhaust manifold, all new spark plugs (which had to be broken out, than extracted, pull the heads and re-thread the holes:dizzy:) power steering flush, fuel system flush, trans flush, resealed both front knuckles, and locking hubs, one new axle shaft, new battery, and an alignment.

A lot of this stuff could have waited but since it was immobilized, I figured get everything done and I won't have to see it in my shop again for a while (at least I hope). This truck is truly what a "like brand new" truck should be :nod: 2006 with 57000 miles, I hope that's all it needs for a long time
  8. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Looks GREAT. Figure out that back up light thing?
  9. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

Haven't had much time to play with it myself, but a couple of my techs wanted to work on it as a new challenge, so I told them that whichever one gets it done first will get a weekend trip for them and their family to Great Wolf Lodge (which is an indoor water park not far from us). So I'm sure it won't be long. I'll post pics when it's complete. :drinkup:
  10. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

wow that looks great i wish i was close to you guys so you can do my truck
    looks great
  11. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

WOW!!! GRRREAT JOB!! Cannot even tell that there was previous damages.
  12. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

Can I get in on the Great Wolf contest too? Pleeease?!
  13. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

Do you really have to take of the whole front end of the truck practically to to put on the plow mount???
    Never dont it myself.
    Serious question.
  14. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

you have to take the bumper off. so yes :mechanic:
  15. gravelyguy

gravelyguy Member
    from Indiana

Great job!

Is it a 5.4? Why do you think the plugs were so hard to get out? I have a 5.4 with 8000 miles. I'm not looking forward to any of that at 56k.
  16. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

That truck is probably better now than when it rolled of the assembly line.
  17. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

PM me your info! I'd like you to look at my Hot Rod. It needs a total paint job and your pics show that you do things right.
  18. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Looks good. Any pics of the damage prior to fixing?
  19. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i had to :laughing:, i have used this exscuse when i found a mud whole last time with my truck! not saying you did it on pourpose but just relating to it myself
  20. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

Thanks everyone for the compliments :waving:

If you were here making me money in my shop, sure lol

Just the front bumper has to come off to install the plow mount. And you have to remove the front crossmember, which is replaced by the plow mount.

It is a 5.4. The plugs get seized in the heads, it's a design flaw by Ford. Not all of them get seized on every 5.4, but usually at least 4 will. Mine happened to have all 8 do it. It's a PITA, but to have to deal with it every 80,000-100,000 miles is not a big deal. I had to change my plugs at 57,000 because of a misfire problem, but that is not typical. I bought this truck wrecked originally last year and the previous owner did not take good care of it at all, but I have fixed all of it's problems now, and it's better than new.

Yes it is, in fact a buddy of mine that runs the vehicle testing for Roush North America, is taking my truck for a while in the next couple weeks to do performance testing for Ford with and without the plow on it, along with a 2012 Super Duty that they are going to compare it with, and they're going to have us test the 2012 during storms to plow with as well. Should be interesting to see the results.

PM sent :drinkup: We are by no means the cheapest, but you won't find anyone better. We carry a 98% customer satisfaction rating with all insurance companies which is unheard of, especially when the national average is 77%. I will hook you up as best I can

No, I limped it 50 miles to my shop and started working on it immediately. Didn't have time to take pics until it was already apart.