1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got Stuck!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by kawahl101, Nov 29, 2008.

1. kawahl101

kawahl101 Junior Member

I have a new F350 King Rranch with a new Boss VXT 8.2' plow. I have approximately 9000 miles on the truck and this is the first time I have plowed with it. I have approximately 600 lbs in the back over the rear axle. I plowed with it for the first time last evening and got stuck twice plowing my 1800' driveway, in the driveway with not much in front of the plow. I don't want to get new tires but seem to think that is going to be the answer. I have the factory Wrangler 20" on the truck. Any and all thoughts/recomendations are appreciated.
  2. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

dumb question but was your 4WD working properly??
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

ats is a good tire, 600 over is good behind is better.are u geting stuck in the /\ mode or \/
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Work the snow to the sides first then you can go back and straighten your driveway out.

Let me guess you have a dirt driveway and it's not frozen yet.
  5. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

that would be my first question too
  6. kawahl101

kawahl101 Junior Member

Waht I love about this forum is that there are no stupid questions or else everyone would be calling me stupid! Truck was in 4wd low both times. Once plow was in the scoop and the other was in V with just a little snow in front.
  7. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

add another 600 pounds in back of the bed, it'll probably help some. I have 1100 pounds of salt in the back of my duramax right now. Did you lock your hubs in?
  8. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

he should have vaccum hubs take a pic of the driveway And plow in 4 hi see if that works better. Alot of fords wont even go in to 4lo with out being in neutral at a dead stop.
  9. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

What is your cab/engine set up. You need atleast 1000 lbs for starters. Next, never plow in low, that could be your next problem. 4 wheel high only. If you are still getting stuck, then its time for tires.
  10. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Why never plow in LOW?

Plowing in low will keep you from smoking a tranny in some cases!
  11. Easy

Easy Senior Member

Your best bet is to lock the hubs in. Sometimes the vac. locks will come out, or not work at all. Also, at times they will unlock when shifted into reverse. That is what the dealer told me about my F250 a while back.
    My dealer also recommended I plow in low range, said it was better for the tranny.
  12. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

There is absolutley nothing wrong with plowing in Low Range, if you know what you are doing.

I think the new fords have nice fat tires, correct? They suck in the snow, I hate them. Your best bet would be to try and find some narrower tires, but you might have to drop down in wheel size to accomplish that.

13. kawahl101

kawahl101 Junior Member

I have the hubs locked and have tried both 4 low and high. I'm convinced after using it the Last few days that it's either weight or tires. I have a water bladder in the back and will have to use something else!
  14. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Dually or SRW? Diesel?

What do you mean by "stuck"? How stuck?
  15. Chaos

Chaos Member

Tires might be a good idea, but maybe your technique was wrong.

First pass should be with plow on an angle to windrow, then take about 1/2 the plow with each pass if there's alot of snow.

Weight should be on or just BEHIND the rear axle. Never in front (recues efficiency of counterbalance)

It might just have been too much ice under the tires. Other than chains/studs, not much you can do about that.

Don't give up!
  16. hinikersnowplow

hinikersnowplow Member
    from on aol

any one plowing snow in 4 low will be using more fuel no matter what if you watch your fuel gauge it will be dropping down to empty in no time
  17. pkenn

pkenn Senior Member

General grabber at2.....un-real snow tire....check the ratings on tire rack.... It goes anywhere,and eats up ice...e rated