1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got some salt - anyways

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by DP Property, Nov 2, 2008.

1. DP Property

DP Property Senior Member

I was told this november salt is going up 150 % per ton here in Windsor, Ontario. I got some before it goes up. Wife was not to happy with the driveway. :dizzy:

driveway.jpg

2. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

just hope it doesnt go way down now lol

3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I heard bags are going up 70 cents here, not 150 percent lol.

4. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

150% per ton is what he's saying.

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

if it went up 150% per ton that would mean its going from say $160 to $400

i Know Cargill already has price increases for early Dec in the 70-80 cent range

6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

lol...... did your trucker forget your work address?

7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

First of DP Property nice job in getting a jump start, and I totally understand the comment about the wife, mine did the same thing last year :blush2:

I'm trying to find someone with bag salt now, most suppliers in my general area are not getting salt in till end of November, last year my buddy and I went through 27 pallets, we got it cheap cause we bought all but 6 pallets at the beginning of the season. This year I can't find anyone that will sell me that much, they're all being told by suppliers that they only get so much and that's it.

Bulk salt was quoted to me at $ 120 ton, going to sell for around $ 160-170 ton, you guys think that's to much or to cheap ??

8. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Thats awsome! Suprise the wife by telling her she cant park in the drive way any more! LOL!

9. DP Property

lol Mike .... I wonder If I should order another 6 now. Home Hardware says when there 200 skids are gone there gone...when they start delivering to Canadian Tires that won't take long.

My buddies Nursery allready has Michigan contractors calling him looking for cheaper bulk salt. There willing to drive across the Border to come and get it. :drinkup:

10. DP Property

Good I was only talking about per ton. I know bags did go up here some . What is your cost per bag? I payed $7.41 per bag with a 6 skid purchase. I know it goes to less per bag with a 12 skid and then 18 skid ect. I would be interested to know what contractors in Ontario are paying for 40 kg and 20 kg bags ?

11. DP Property

I gave out bags of salt for Halloween :)

12. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

if anyones from southeast michigan ... angelos supply in farmington , michigan has bulk salt $99 a ton .. or $142.50 per pallet (80lb) bags

13. JeepCreepn01

JeepCreepn01 Senior Member
    from Ohio

almost all suppliers around here will let you buy or even throw a deposit down for what you need and they will let it sit at their place, and one place around here if your a good customer let you just say i need 10 skids or whatever and you pay as you go, or if dont use them all no big deal:drinkup:

14. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

nice
    plan to cover it?

15. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You didn't mention the other minor details.............10 ton maximum per customer per day, no new customers, availability not guaranteed.

16. DP Property

I actually got it all inside my garage, left one skid (the one closest to the house) and covered it with several tarps. Now the wife is happy I stacked it all along the wall in the garage. Thank God for my KUbota B7510:nod:

17. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

maybe they should have empasized that in BIGGER print or in different color ... cuz i must have missed that part ..

18. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

just ordered some at $6.29/bag 2 skids of 40 just as an absolute backup. Going to be using bulk from melvin orr this year and im also putting up a mini salt shed at my house in emeryville to store 6 tonnes or so. Im going to prefill 5gal buckets with lids so my sidewalk guys can just fill up there truck with buckets (50lbs ea) and go. Total savings of 60% over bags. Let me know if you ever need buckets of bulk salt in a pinch.

Robs son from the LCBO, 567 3513 - Korey

19. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Yes but they will only sell to you if you bought decent quantity's from them last year. We bought some last season but i guess not enough

20. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

Got my salt bulk salt at under $70 a ton this year. Had to pay for the 100 tons up front and if I need more I pay market price then. Last year it was $47.00