1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

got some questions for F250 owners

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by DAVID1963, Dec 5, 2007.

1. DAVID1963

DAVID1963 Member

hey guys i bought a 2004 F-250 superduty 4x4 and put an 8.2 boss V plow on it and was just wondering what gear do you guys do your plowing in with the F-250 and do you put the overdrive on or off or dont it matter? May sound like dumb questions but never owned a ford truck and want to try and make it last as long as possible. Truck only has 21k miles on it! thanks Dave.

2. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

I plow in drive and it doesnt matter if the overdrive is off.. you will never be going fast enough for the truck to shift into overdrive.

3. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I never plow in overdrive. Blew 2 trannys in my ranger driving in overdrive. I plow in low 2 and hi 4x4 in the deep stuff. Not to many time has it had to go in 4x4 low.

4. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

i second that, plowing in overdrive or drive doesn't really matter. it won't shift into overdrive unless you are going about 35 or 40. well something like those speeds atleast. eitherway, teh speed is much higher than you'll be pushing snow. it actually says it in your owners manual i think.

5. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Well a ranger shouldnt have a plow on it anyway.LOL

6. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

It was the last year until the new ones to warranty a plow on it. It's ok for an S-10 or a dakota to have a plow on them.

7. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i allways plow in 4low and 1st gear with o/d off.

8. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

Your not getting much done in 4low and 1st gear. I would go CRAZY going that slow. I only use 4 low if its over a foot and heavy snow.

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo Senior Member
    from nw ohio

ill bet thats why he is in 4x4 low...

i can only imagine the snow in Alaska......bet its deep though.....:dizzy:

10. 91AK250

haha yeah i only do driveways so theres no room to get too much speed up lol i suppose you guys doing much bigger lots..ect would not need it, i just have to deal with steep driveways. lol

like so
    [​IMG]

11. droptine

droptine Member

I plow with the shifter in OD, but never get speed up that high, I plowed 4" this morning in 2wd. With a crew cab, turning radius is important and 4x4 decreases turn radius. I run with 1000.0 lbs. of salt in bags in center of bed for rear weight and only need 4x4 on inclines and pushing piles.

12. 91AK250

yeah i have nothing in the bed, in 2wd i do nothin but spin lol