1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

got salt? I need some in Lansing MI

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Commercial, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Commercial

Commercial Junior Member

Hey all you salt brokers, dealers, pimps etc, I need a hundred tons, help a guy out, thanks.

Lansing, MI $$

517 712 6178

2. EPM

EPM Member

It's out there. Just a matter of how much you're willing to pay. Gonna be hard Pressed to get 100 tons delivered for less than $125 a ton now.

3. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

If you find some let me know. We went through about 400 ton last year and feel like I'm getting the run around asking my contact about it this year. Maybe its just too early and were all hitting the panic button after last year but I would rather be prepared.

4. Commercial

Commercial Junior Member

Hi Lapeer, we are in about the same boat. I was told a couple more weeks on the quotes also, and don't feel like waiting to find a modified or reduced allotment.

5. EPM

EPM Member

Who are you guys getting your salt through? I've taken 8 trucks in the last two days from our guy. Are you looking to put a deposit down or buy and take delivery?

6. Commercial

Commercial Junior Member

Hi EP, thanks, looking to buy and take delivery.

7. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Why is salt so expensive in Michigan?

8. EPM

EPM Member

PM me, might be able to get you a cople loads.

9. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I think my guy is just still too busy hauling other things. I just talked to one of there drivers and he had 84 hours last week so the company don't even want to think about salt yet.

10. EPM

EPM Member

If they're getting any this year they might want to start thinking about it.

11. Commercial

Commercial Junior Member

Thanks EPM, not sure if the pm went through, have a good weekend fellas

12. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I work for a comp who whole sales Salt to various customers here in Iowa. We have 1500 Tons on Order wnd will start getting shipped in this next week. We were told to not take on new customers and look for Price Increases as the Salt mines did not get enought mined this year and trying to play catchup for the High Demand from last season. In my Opinion and from what I am hearing, If you got it be thankful, If not be Looking very Seriously and expect to Pay higher Cost .

13. EPM

EPM Member

Yep, sorry been tied up all afternoon. You around if i call tomorrow morning sometime?

14. Commercial

Commercial Junior Member

feel free to call anytime, thanks. Still lookin. Found some in Chicago at the dock, but checking on trucking costs.

15. liquidchloride

liquidchloride Junior Member

We've been posting the problem for over a month. We don't believe that it's a problem--it's a severe problem. Salt is in short supply and if we get snow early, or often, we will be in the same place most of us were Mid Jan last year--$250 per ton-if you can find it. This is no joke--you need to get your salt and stock it---or start looking at alternative products. Communicate with your property managers--they too are just starting to pick their heads out of their budgets and are realizing salt will be up over 100% from the start of last year. Retail yards are promising pricing by end of week. Sticker shock alert!

16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Well not all of us have those problems. We have 2000 tons locked already at last years price.

17. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

We got 1700 ton's locked in and a $30.00 per ton increase in Price already

18. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

Slightly off topic, but our supplier starting getting bagged in last week. The first load was dated 2011, and was hard as a rock. The next load was dated 2012 and almost the same. Last winter we couldn't get any, and now the dealer is trying to dump old crap. Go figure.

19. Snow Tech

Snow Tech Junior Member

Does any body have bulk salt available for sale in Michigan, looking for 200 ton.

20. Snow Tech

Snow Tech Junior Member

EPM , do you know who might have bulk salt for sale in Michigan or Ohio?