1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got rid of one today

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Scott's, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Had this pain in the azz account for 3 years and just got the guts to dump them and boy I feel great. It was a gas station that I got from a friend that passed 3 years ago and I never changed the price it was @ $50 per plow lady was a real pain telling my drivers it wasn't 3 inch yet and making them leave just to call them back in 1 hr. Tells me this year $50 is to much and if I wanted to keep her I would have to drop down to $40 I loled and said good luck and walked out. A gas station for $40 ??? Oh it was also a smoke shop with a drive thru you you had to deal with gas pumps and a line to get smokes.

I hate letting any money go but boy I realy felt good when I left, I may just go dump another account today lol .
  2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

for 50 bucks i wouldve dropped her 3 years ago
  3. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

dont drop too many now...and for ur line to ciggys u couldnt just grab a cone or two and stop the traffic flow while u plow?
  4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

There are many important lessons you learn when running your own business.

#1 is "cash is king"

#2 is "not all customers are worth having."

Hopefully you replace it with something better.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I would have done the same thing
  6. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

pretty much :salute:
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You'll be glad she's gone. Lost one via a note in the mail. Inherited the account when a guy gave me his route. Agreed no increases first year. Was getting only $30 per pass for a quasi commercial. Two entrances on the busiest road in town, at the crest of a hill. Half gravel, half stove up black top.
    Went to $45 last year, was going up again this year. Happy to see the note he found someone else.
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Chinese lady?

Just kidding.
  9. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Heck around here they will run over them or even steel them when your not looking.
  10. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

customers that feel they are going to come out and tell you how it is going to be aren't worth it, i wonder if you walked in there and TOLD HER that she was going to drop the price of a pop and chips for you because they were to expensive.
  11. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

i would have done the same thing, but 3yrs ago
  12. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yep :p I quoted a dunkin donuts a year and a half ago, tiny lot with a drive through, i told em $45 for salt and $75 a plow... its 200ft from my house when im leaving anyway on my way so even at that rate id make a few bucks..

they never called back. All winter long, i never saw anyone do it. Then i saw one of the owners or workers push spreading bagged salt with a "scotts fertilizer spreader" in the parking lot because it was so icy they had a tow truck there once pulling a car out of the parking spot it was stuck in the ice was so bad lol... ill take the large accounts thank you very much ussmileyflag
  13. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

Dude my cheapest driveway is 55.00 for 3" or under. I know area has alot to do with pricing, but that sounds cheap as hell for a comercial no matter where it is.
  14. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Thats what i was thinking.... I'm in the 100's for 1-3" and up for two gas stations that i've been doing for a couple of years now...
  15. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I had an offer to bid on a gas station this year and turned it down, to hard to do during the busy times.
  16. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Its to funny I just heard they contacted the junk man that I posted a thread about a few weeks ago. Perfect match.
  17. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

People like that bother me. That's just too cheap. I understand people trying to save money, but that's just way over board. How can you make any money if your customers can't even get to the store. I mean if I even saw a lot in that condition, I would go to their competitors store without even thinking twice.
  18. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

hey brant's think of all the buisness the tow truck drivers are giving the donut shop, waiting to pull out customers. :laughing:
  19. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

They were probably all parked and lined up there, coaxing people into the lot! lol payup
  20. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

people like that really piss me off. they expect everything for free. I have someone like that too but i do not have enough accounts to drop them. They do not realize what stuff costs. She probably wont find someone else to do it for that price anyway.. and if she does they probably wont show up again.

I used to have this one parking lot to a chineese food restuarant. it was a pretty big parking lot and i only charged 50 per storm. The next year i told him i had to go up to60 because it was way too big. he said no and found someone else. Halfway through the winter i got a call from him saying that i could start doing it again because the lowballer that he found only plowed parts of it and ended up not showing up anymore. hahah i laughed and said yes, but only for 60. he ended up taking the deal