1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got Really pissed using my new V-XT....

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by gunsworth, Jan 19, 2012.

1. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

That I have never used one before in the 14 years I have been plowing :jester: that and my face hurt afterwords from smiling the whole time

seriouisly, was the first plow of the year for me, 3 clusters of cars, had to adjust to using more buttons, had plenty of time so I took it easy, yet i still got the lot done in 40mins, whereas with my straight blade no matter how fast i went I could never hit 45 mins (was usually 50+). And I didnt have to touch anything up when done.

2. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Add a set of Boss wings & it will take you 30 min or less.......
  3. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

A v-plow is the way to go, I love mine, you can move much more snow with one.
  4. habart30

habart30 Member

no doubt.. Boss wings are the way to go. A little pricey but you won't regret it!
  5. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

I also have to admit that my new VXT is far superior in plowing to my old RT-2 v plow in every aspect but one. It has taken me awhile to get used to it, I could feel the old 3 button controller in my sleep, but I'm getting the feel of the buttons now. It really shoots the snow farther on my long drive especially.
    I put on a little plowing clinic for one of my friends the other day when he was pushing snow with his farm loader(regular bucket). He couldn't believe that I could move the snow that fast and pile that high.
    Bet he gets one next year. MUD
  6. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

great looking setup, im strapped between the 8'2 vxt and a regular 9'2. i just dont know yet.if you could would you have gotton the 9'2 or the 8'2 you have?
  7. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

I fI did all commercial I would want the 9.2, but after my commercial route is done I help my other truck finish residentials, and the 9.2 would just be too big for some of them. I was just gonna get another straight blade originally, but the day I was gonna go get a new one I stumbled upon this on craigslist for 3500$, a local dealer put it on one of their demos last february, so it had less than a month of use on just their lot. Could not pass it up, a lot less than I was gonna drop on a new straight.

I will probably look into wings next year for it though, but with this crappy winter it hasnt had a chance to pay for itself lol
  8. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I love my 9'2" v. I'll never go back to a straight blade- especially when doing any lots, even small ones.
  9. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

I do 95% commercial, have a 9'2 regular & a 8'2" VXT w/wings. The VXT with wings is the way to go.
  10. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Dito, I own a 9.2 VXT and two -8.2 VXT's. get the 8.2 with wings, you will be glad you did...

11. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

i forgot how to use mine . :confused:
  12. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

used it for the second time friday. got kinda pissed for real though, kissed a curb going less than 3mph while coming to a stop for my shoveler to get in and it appears I bent my A-frame, the side that hit is definitely not level with the other anymore. still seems to work fine but I suspect it will wear the cutting edge differently. Given how new this plow is I am very disappointed, wish I had stuck with a straight blade, ive really hit some curbs with those and had no damage. in slick conditions, its not always possibly to keep clear of everything, I do the best I can and cant believe this light hit could bend the plow. Cant say I would feel comfortable letting one of my guys go out with this plow, I will keep them using the straightblade on my other truck (6 years old and been through hell, but still true as the day it was installed 3 trucks ago)
  13. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Seems like that would be a poorly made plow if it bent that easily, did you take it to a dealer to get it checked out to see if it really is bent?
  14. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

The bending problem has happened before to others I believe. If you have to get a new beef it up.
  15. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

no, but it is pretty clear that the one wing comes in further and lower than the other, even from inside the truck. Im gonna take some measurements once i get some other things done. Dont really want to pay a bunch of money to the dealer to tell me what I can figure out on my own. if I do find it is bent I will just shell out the 300$ for a new frame and beef it up and install myself. Im thinking winter is pretty much done here in MI so Ill have plenty time.
  16. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

$300. Wishful thinking there.
  17. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

love mine too
  18. bossman34

bossman34 Member

I would be really surprised if such a small impact could do anything but scratch the paint. I have nailed curbs enough to throw me out of my seat and into the steering wheel and have yet to do anything. My father used one for 10 years and beat the snot out of it. he did tweak a wing, he was going 30 + and hit a raised manhole cover. Even then it still worked fine. I bet its just the natural play-- I noticed from day one that my left wing comes in a 1/4 inch or less farther than the right wing on my Boss. So either your wrong or your lieing.... Not that i care much just my 2 cents
  19. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

20. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Hey Gunsworth.

Check and make sure that both wings are retracting fully. The wing should firmly come in contact with the center section of the plow. Boss had a batch of center sections welded improperly. I noticed it on my new 9'2" VXT when I picked it up. The drivers side wing was not retracting the final 2" or so. (Which was about a 5/8" gap between the wing and center section where it should of actually been touching).

If that is the problem, your dealer will fix it for you under warrenty.