1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got Really Lowballed !!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by muddy00, Dec 9, 2005.

1. muddy00

muddy00 Member

Lot I Bid for $150, some kid in a bobcat said he would do it for $25 Gee guess who got that one!!!! Large lot probably 2 acre lot.

2. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Hire him to sub for you! :drinkup:

3. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

No joke, Hire him for $30 an hr to run his cat and tell him you'll get him all the work he can handle. Then open your pocket payup

4. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

No Kidding! How Can Anyone Make A Profit For That!

5. norrod

norrod Senior Member

Granted the kid has no other work for his Bobcat, but $25 won't hardly pay for the fuel :dizzy:

Like the others said, sign him on as a sub and bill him out !

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

That kid for sure doesn't know what his machines worth an hour. He could get 2-3 times that an hour if he's a good operator. The lot owners probably pulling your leg, wants to see how low you will go.
    Make it a point to catch him doing it and stop and tell him the machine and operator's worth $75 an hour to you. Drive away before he can say a word.

7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

$25, that's what I charge for 1x on a small driveway, how could you turn a real profit that way?

8. Thebosssnowplow

Thebosssnowplow Member
    from pa

I think your full of it.

9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Lol, I was kinna thinking the same thing. :rolleyes:

10. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

This has to be a joke

Someone has to be pulling someones leg. You cant maintain that machine for that much less pay for insurance, fuel, drivers wages and don't forget profit. His dad has to own that machine and the kid is making beer money.

Dave

11. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

It would take way to long to plow for only $25 worth of beer money.

Seriously, it would take like forever and a day to plow two acres with a bobcat, wouldn't it? Unless it had a snowplow on it, I guess it didn't say. Where I work they used to use two ASVs with five foot buckets, took two guys better than two hours to do it all. They just hired me to do it, on the first try without a real system in place I did it in a half hour with the 810. Plus I can use the skidsteer afterwards to get the little tight spots. Anyway, in my experience plowing with a skidsteer with a bucket is a waste of time. Used to use a 6 foot plow on a bobcat, that was way to narrow too. I think an 810 on a tracked ASV would be about the best setup.

12. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Who's full of it?

13. lalexopoulos

lalexopoulos Junior Member
    from Pa

Lowballing

I have been plowing for 12 years and one account in particular, a church, has two large lots and an entryway that equates a lot in itself. I have always charged by how many inches I have to plow. 1-4, 5-9 and so on and so son. My 1-4 rate for this partucular church was $290. Maybe that was a little high, but I figure that if I am out in the middle of the night working in the cold and making myself sick top the stomach, forward reversee, forward reverse.... I want to be making money. I lost it to a punk who is doing it for $120 up to 8" and $180 after 8". This is the second one I lost to a lowballer. Last year I lost Pargos restaurant to some ignorant who came in and Charged $75 for a job I charge $185 for the first 4". The funny thing is that they got $75 worth of work. His snow was pushed to the curb and left there until the next snow fall, where he plowed again into that previous mound and the parking space shrank immediately. I can't figure people out. I get so tired of people who come in and lowball and than do work that is not the same as the previous plow man. Don't these people understand that even the cheapest of repairs can be extremely costly? I wish we could all band together and demand a fee that reflects what we put into our work... and a fee that pays for all the sleepless nights and bitter cold conditions which we work.

Anyway.... all you lowballers can kiss my you know what.... I refuse to work for peanuts! My time and my equipment along with my abilities are worth far more than any of you will ever be!

Take it for what its worth a-holes!

14. Mainiac

Mainiac Member

Some kid with a bobcat? How did he pay for that and the equip to get it from a to b?
    I have to agree, client is trying to save mulla.

15. GrassBustersLaw

GrassBustersLaw Junior Member

He probably stole the BobCat!

16. wddodge

wddodge Member

17. Mainiac

Mainiac Member

It's probably his Dad's.

18. lalexopoulos

lalexopoulos Junior Member
    from Pa

Denny the commodian.

"Ok, I'm curious now. What did you do with the snow if you didn't leave it in a pile at the edge of the lot?? Haul it away?? Melt it?? Ball it up and make snow people and decorate the sidewalks with them??"

That's real funny Denny. If you took the time to read and understand what I wrote, and perhaps if you were one who takes pride in your work, you would understand exactly what I meant with regards to the quote you are making fun of. If you are any kind of a skilled plowman, which I doubt, you take the first snowfall of the season and each consecutive snowfall, but primarily the first and push it up over the curb and as far back as you are able to go before your plow mount on the truck frame hits the curb. By doing this, you are effectively keeping the lot open without the need to have a backhoe and dump truck come in to haul snow out of your lot. This keeps the customer happy and it keeps the people that use the lot feel good about parking in that lot. That's what I meant by that Denny, so how about you get your head out of your colon and have a little sense? If you were just trying to be funny, you were, but I would hope you know better than to plow to the curb and just let it sit... but I won't put it past you because by the sounds of it, you are about as ignorant as all the lowballers out there.

19. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

i bid $7,700 to clear 5 acres seasonally and a kid said he would do it for $15.00!!!

now with the cost of shovels at wal mart ...hows he going to make a profit?!?!

purplebou purplebou :realmad: :realmad:

20. wddodge

wddodge Member

Wow, talk about hitting a nerve. Maybe a nice laxative or some Pepto will make ya feel better.