1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

got pulled over by local pd

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by pvtben121, Dec 30, 2010.

1. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

said he couldnt see my rear plate cause the salt dogg spinner was blocking it he gave me a warning and told me it would be a big fine if i didnt move it
    so i have been driving with a salt spreader on for years no problems now this jerk who didnt get his christmas goose has to mess with me
    i think this guy was nut anybody else.
    and they wonder why people hate cops

2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

god forbid we make a buck :mad: i know a lot of cops so i just name drop when i get pulled over

3. PlatinumService

PlatinumService Senior Member

we have to mount our front plates in visible sight for the cops. mine is mounted on the grille of my truck lol

4. chris.outdoor

chris.outdoor Member
    from NH

i got pulled over last year from a (new out of state) cop that busted my balls bad about my meyer tailgate spreader ( that i have been running around with for 4yrs) for not having a plate. i told him i couldnt just drill random holes in it... he got pissy so i played ignorant and told him "oh i didnt know that" and "what would you do" yada yada. any who he drove away and to this day knock on wood i havent had a problem... i still have no plate.. guess it depends on the day od the cop

5. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

By law, akhem, choke...yea, they are suppose to be visible. Mine has been blocked since 1987 and it hasn't been a problem. I've had a couple cops reach under, bend down and knock the snow and salt off the plate, just so they could run it. Didn't get sighted. With the illegal cameras at the intersections, I'll take my chances. My old man just recently got his very first speeding ticket downtown from a camera, he's 78.

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Funny, I just moved mine to the drivers side on the rear bumper today to avoid hassle.

7. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah i have a truckcraft replacement tailgate spreader for my dump. I've never had a problem with com=ps pulling us over....Really you can barely see my plate in the spring since its kinda tucked up under the dump bed my the trailer receiver etc. let alone in the winter when there is about 3lbs of salt covering it...... Never had a problem though USDOT numbers are on the door though!

I've never seen the PD pull over Road commission trucks that look like this after a 15hr shift!
    Yet you cant see their plates either!
    [​IMG]

8. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Let me tell you if I was driving a road commission truck and the pd flicked his lights on for me I would laugh. Give him one big middle finger and call my boss to tell this clown to f off. It would take all I have in mew not to just kick the guy in the can and ask him wtf he's thinking, we work for the same guy!!!

9. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Wow i meant "cops!"

I would do the same!

10. knuckles

knuckles Junior Member

Got pulled Wednesday a.m. by NJSP, for diesel truck inspection. Didnt say a word about my plate (which is mangled beyond belief and encrusted with salt.) He did happen to find 11 other violations though:gunsfiring::nono: Go figure.payup

11. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

get a peice of cardboard and write your tag info on it with a black marker and tape it to the back window. (no don't I am sure you will get pulled over)

that is what people do around here when they "loose" there plates...
    but then again, the auto rules are kinda, realy relaxed here.

If we had to go through all the crap you yankees :) do, 3/4th of the autos would be cited unsafe to operate mine included (emissions)....

and belive it or not, it gets worse if you go one state south (Tn) and if you go to Ms or La, well its a free for all down there :)

12. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

LOL---try using a turn signal in Alabama..talk about a free for all.

:mechanic:

13. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

doesnt the motor code state that the plate has tobe in the original factory location? then why are we getting hasseled for plates and what not, there in the origanal location...........

14. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

The guy lets you off with a warning and you whine like this. He has a job to do, and obviously he couldnt see your plate or your expiration, without stopping you.

You guys whine that you wouldnt stop for the police if you were working municipally, but Im sure you would be the first ones to call the police if your plow truck was stolen.

Everybody has a job to do, and the police have one to do also.

15. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

i had an 89 chevy shortbed 4x4, and my friend rear ended me with his 92 chevy, and it bent my back bumper down 90 degrees. so temporarily i put my plate in the back window like everyone else ( so it would be visible) and i got pulled over for that. argued with the cop about what to do and she agreed it was smarter than leaving it on the bumper pointed at the road, and let me off as long as i moved it. so i used self tappers to hold it up under the tailgate.

thought it was kinda stupid, because i made it that much more visible, but either way

i was also told by a MSP officer that the trailer hitch ball mounted in the bumper (IN THE FACTORY HOLE) was in the way of the plate and was technically illegal too

16. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I haven't had a front plate since 2006. When I bought my new truck in 2007 the dealer suggested i get new plates because my front one was missing. I said just put the rear one on, never have been messed with, knock on wood. LOL Even in the winter with my salt spreader blocking the rear plate. Of course most of the cops know who I am from just seeing me around, I think thats why they don't hassle me.

17. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

why not just move your plate....i did mine a few years ago. its not that big of a deal and there are plenty of methods of attaching the plate to your spreader. is the cop an ass? well did he give you a ticket. law says plate has to be vissible. this is not hard to understand or to do. so why not just eliminate the problem. i dont need my salt truck getting pulled over in a snow storm.

the plate thing is just a reason to get pulled over. first give him the reason...next he wil find something else to get you on.... next thing you know, the cop will want to crawl under the truck to inspect it, or the guy in the drivers seat doesnt know his DL is suspended. you dont need these problems before a storm, during a storm or after a storm...so why not just go out to your truck, move the plate, and cross it off the list

18. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I agree.............. If he "was a jerk" your wallet would be lighter. Sounds like his Christmas Goose put him in a good mood.You should send him a card of thanks, apology, and picture of your plate moved to a better location.

19. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I would reather push snow all winter long for free then do a days work as a police officer!

20. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I havent seen either of my plates since I put the plow on.....back one is covered with snow too