1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got posi?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Landscape80, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Landscape80

Landscape80 Senior Member

Hey, I got a 2000 Ram 2500 4X4, all that good stuff, and I was wondering, does it have posi? I know when it spins, it spins with the right wheel, but is it cause the posi-clutches are bad? I know that a bunch of newer trucks are being built with posi-locking rears, but how do I know if mine has it or not? I'm sure there's a code somewhere......what is it?:help:

Chris

2. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

What you do is jack the rear end up off the ground and spin the tires if they go the same way its posi if they rotate different its open diff. hope this helps!

3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

There's an easier way, there are 3 places where it may tell you, a sticker in the glove box, a sticker on the door jamb or a sticker under the hood. If it is a LSD it will say something like 3.55 or 3.92 folled by anti-spin.

4. Landscape80

Nice.....thanks guys, appreciated:salute:

Chris

5. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

powerbrake and look for two lines:D

6. Landscape80

Did it already, thats what made me wonder about the posi-clutches being shot:D :D

Chris

7. danzig

danzig Junior Member

I bet you dont have a posi. I have a ramcharger with 323 gears and it is a posi. My other rc is the same year but no posi and a 360 engine. Kind of rare to find a 4x4 with posi unless it was ordered that way. hey look on the bright side at least you wont be prone to turning sideways on ice covered parking lots which reminds you to "lock it in stupid". Or spending all that extra money on ls additive.:nod: Dont worry man you can still push snow and go places with that 1 legger.

8. Landscape80

hehehe I know, been pushing a bunch this year, but its a pain in the ass when you're in the middle of a run and your truck starts to slow down but your wheel is still going a mile a minute:nod:

Chris

9. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

I wonder if it is a posi thats just shot.
    Mine will spin the right tire on occasion but never just the left one. Applying the brake or e-brake always gets them both to push though. At some point the factory option posi was "upgraded" and it became neccessary to apply the brake to get it to function---I don't know what year this came into effect though.

10. ToolManTimTaylor

ToolManTimTaylor Junior Member

Dude Nobody here should have a "Posi", Posi-traction is Chevy's name for a limited slip diff. Like Bandaid, and Kleenex, the name takes on a generic meaning: a posi rearend is a limited slip unit.

LOL!

Chances are your LSD clutches are kaput. There are methods out there on re stacking the clutches for more or less directed wheelspin / differentiating spin.

11. danzig

danzig Junior Member

Ok a Dodge has Trak lock Or Power Lock. Can you tell the difference toolman?

12. ToolManTimTaylor

ToolManTimTaylor Junior Member

TracLok is a one-piece and has two pinion mate spider gears

PowerLok has a two piece with four pinion mate spider gears

13. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

I think he's got you danzig.

Tony

14. danzig

danzig Junior Member

I had my diff on my 1 ton rebuilt. Had a 1 piece carrier with 4 spider gears, said power lock in the book. It is a spicer/dana 70. Trak loc and power lock are both ls units?

15. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

I know I have an Open Diff in my 92. It does stink just having that right rear spin away. But, if I Power Brake (summer months), I get nice Posi marks for about 40 - 80 feet while shifting 2nd + 3rd in my auto. Plus a lot of smoke out the back :D :D