1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

got offered a 327

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chev4life, Sep 10, 2003.

1. chev4life

chev4life Junior Member

i just recently got offered a rebuilt 327 for 250 bucks and my friends told me it was bored 30 over with new pistons intake carb crank cam and its out of a 67 nova or chevelle he cant remember but he thinks it has about 250 hp but i think it would be more because the stock 4 barrel versions are 275, 300, 325 and 350 and i was just wondering what you guys estimate this small block would make for hp. thanks.

2. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

Post the numbers/letters that are stamped on the block on the right side, front. If the block was decked they might not be visible any longer. These numbers will tell what type of car it was in and what HP it had when it left the factory. Rick

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Or get the casting numbers off the drivers side rear of the block,just behind the head,cast into the bellhousing flange.Head casting numbers may help too in identifying it.

Either way,if this is going in your truck,I don't think it would make a good truck motor.Unless your building a hotrod truck,you need something with lots of bottom end torque,which the 327 was not known for,especially if it's got a cam or other mods done to it.

4. chev4life

chev4life Junior Member

well i recently sold my truck and right now im looking at a 74 chev nova and i thought that 327 might be a good motor to put in if it was all done up but i can get my hands on a 350 out of an old 70 impala thats not done up or anything but ill just trust your guys opinions on what i should do.

5. 86CrewcabK30

86CrewcabK30 Junior Member
    from iowa

Buy it. The 327 might not have the low end of the big blocks or even a 350, but it makes up for it with faster revs due to a shorter stroke. They are great in street rods or really light 4x4's like Blazers. I had one in a '70 Blazer and it was hard to beat on the street or in the mud. Just my opinion. The price is right too if it has all the work done. Can't hardly buy a smoker 350 around here anymore for that price.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

327's are getting harder to find,so you may want to buy it and clean it up and resell it and make a few bucks to put towards a good truck motor.

7. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

I would buy it in a heartbeat and put it in my truck. You would be one of the few around to say you had a 327 in your truck. It has a shorter stroke but I still think it would make a good truck engine. If it was built right it would have plenty of bottom end. I think you would be happy with it. We had a 68' camaro with a 327 that would launch hard off the line and turn high 12's in a 1/4 mile. Beat alot of 350's off the line. You have to make
    some bottom end to do that.

"327 small block - Loved by many, hated by few, respected by all" Hey I just made that up pretty good huh?
    :salute:

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

You could make it work in a truck,but there are too many things to change to get it to make it pull good down low.You need the correct gearing,convertor stall speed,tuning,etc.

9. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

wyldman is right and i dont want to hurt any feeling 78k20 but your comparing a small tiny car to a heavy truck its not gonna have the same effect like i said i dont want to hurt feelings

10. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

BUY IT!!

They are definitely getting harder to find. From the research I have done, 68's are the most desirable- they have the large journal main and rod bearings of the later (350 and 400) motors, but the last year of the 327 stroke. SO, if it's a 68, offer 300!!

11. chev4life

chev4life Junior Member

hey theres this guy i know he has a 69 cougar with a 351 windsor and this thing just eats 5.0 mustangs. as afr as i know he has a high rise intake, honed intake, muncie m-21 tranny, 4.10 gears or something like that, and close ratio something wasnt paying attntion to that very much. but im a chev fan and i was wondering if a souped up 350 or 400 would take this guy. i was thinking on putting it in a nova and putting in a 4 speed muncie tranny(i dont know if they made them im assuming ahaha) and 3.73 or 4.11. i just as much feed back and as much advice as possible cuz i dont think anyones beat him since hes done his car up. thanxs a million guys.

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'm sure he could easily be beaten,you just need lots of payup

13. chev4life

chev4life Junior Member

well i hope you have a lot of payup for me cuz that i dont have lol. so any tips and suggestions are appreciated. thanx