1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got new plow wiring, now time to do the big 3 and dual batteries

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by xjoedirt55x, Sep 25, 2016.

1. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

So, as the title says I just received all new plow wiring (plow side and truck side) and I figured that when I tear into the wiring, I might as well upgrade the battery and wiring in the truck since the battery that is in there is pretty much shot.

My plans are to do a dual battery setup ran in parallel, and the "Big 3". I believe the stock alternator is fine and don't really need to be upgraded. I am doing this on a 2003 Silverado 2500HD. I have a few questions for those of you who have done it or have looked into it.

1. I need the second battery tray. I have been scouting the local junkyard here and there, but not much luck finding one, I don't mind waiting it out a few more weeks looking around, but if there is a reasonably priced one online I will go ahead and just order one.

2. Should I just run one wire from the alternator to one of the batteries, or do I need to run a wire to both? I am planning on grounding each one to a common ground point.

3. What gauge wire would work? I know I could just put 0 gauge on, but don't want to if it is not necessary. I am just running a straight blade and a Salt Dogg spreader.

Any other input to keep any eye out for would be appreciated.

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Even tho you said the stock alt is ok, I'd look into different upgrade options as well. Wouldn't hurt to at least weight your options

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

As for the alt wire, no just run one wire to one of the batts,
    But think about upgrading that wire to a bigger wire.

Over 90amps?
    Start to thnk 0-2awg

Also read up on "ground loops" a lot of folks who over do it on wiring run into this issue.

5. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

Thanks for the response guys. I will read through that thread, read about ground loops etc.

I do plan on getting thicker gauge wire for sure, just trying to figure out what gauge would be sufficient. The over-doing it side of me says just get 0 gauge and be done with it.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I've always just did 2g.