1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got myself a new plow truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by jdxnc, Oct 20, 2010.

1. jdxnc

jdxnc Junior Member

I picked up a '94 Ram 2500 CTD this summer for a really good price. It need a little TLC but that has all been taken care of. It drives wonderfully, and gets a hell of a lot better fuel milage than my old 318 Dakota, and has a lot more torque as well! The Cummins is so much more fun to drive, should have the power to push a some snow.

No pics yet with the plow on, but when the winter weather gets here I'll be sure to take some pics.

[​IMG]

2. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

nice truck if you dont mind me asking how much you spend on her? and what ya have hanging off the front?

3. jdxnc

jdxnc Junior Member

$3500.

Copy of an older Western plow that I made for the Dakota a few years ago. Just modified it to fit the Ram. I had it all mocked up last week and on the truck, it is using an older Western electric/cable hydraulic pump, worked fine last year. I hooked up the power and tried it, nothing. Motor would not run at all, so I checked my wiring, all was good, popped open the motor, it was half full of water(only in the motor, none in the pump). This setup has treated me good, this is the only problem it's given me.

Found a brand new motor for $65 so all is good now and ready for some snow!

4. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

If I were you, I'd invest in a set of good quality guages (EGT, Trans Temp, and Fuel Pressure) for your beast. The next thing I would do, if the previouse owner hasn't all ready done so, is take care of the KDP. Other than that, that beast will plow like a dozzer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Ci5l0wrqo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtphHbQ06H0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD7-sQMkFxQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKdihnClDjU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMfB-oajhMQ&feature=related

5. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

ya what he said tab the dowel pin its really easy and it could be a catastrophe if you dont

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

My uncle has a 1994 Ram 2500 with a 318 and 8' Fisher. It plows pretty good. That Cummins should be great for plowing.

7. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

oo ya get the flip out towing mirrors too you wont regret that one bit

8. jdxnc

jdxnc Junior Member

Well the truck decided it was gonna throw me a bit of a curve ball. It started pissing coolant from rear passenger corner of the head gasket. So over the last 3 nights I got that taken care of.

[​IMG]

Head off with the old head gasket from my Mitsubishi Eclipse for size reference!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All back together and running strong.

[​IMG]

9. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

there is a reason he sold it to you for $3500, they knew the head gasket was bad. nice truck.

10. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

Thats a nice plow truck, glad you got it for a decent price to have to do that to it right away..

11. jdxnc

jdxnc Junior Member

I can live with that, only cost me $50 for a new gasket, my time and a few drinks to a friend to borrow his engine lift.

12. mercer_me

Head gaskets are allways fun to replace.......................................NOT!

13. jdxnc

jdxnc Junior Member

What better to do on rainy November nights than to wrench on the truck out in the garage! I could have taken it to the stealership and paid them all my hard earned cash, nah I think not!

14. mercer_me

I wouldn't have brought it to the dealership either. If you can fix it your self there is no reason to bring it to the dealership IMO.

15. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

thats why i buy dodges. the cummins is so easy to work on. everything breaks but atleast you dont need a mirror and tweasers to work on these. how many miles on it? you stole that truck for 3500

16. jdxnc

jdxnc Junior Member

My previous job was as a mechanic, so I had all the tools and know-how for gasoline engines, and quite honestly, I find the diesel much more simple to work on. Having no timing components in the head is a big plus!

I agree completely, while everything is big and heavy, the engine is a real simple design and makes it a breeze to work on and why they last.

It currently has 190k miles, I think was killed the head gasket was that the truck sat unstarted for nearly 2 years. It has taken some TLC to get it back in good working order, but I think it will be a good solid truck in the end.