1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

got my wings ....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fernalddude, Feb 25, 2005.

1. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

ok guys was out playing with some close out wings and had to put them on just for kicks but think the are the best thing for my rigs. The new plow is still under warranty so i got to wait for some paint things from meyers but iam going to mount and support the plows so tell me what ya think :salute:

blank wing 3.jpg

2. fernalddude

two is better

ok with the other one LOL>>>>>> :D

2 wings 2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  3. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Dude: be careful with the wings on the smaller units. I know those small units are great for certain applications, but I would not try to increase the load too much or you might be posting about a transmission.

4. fernalddude

I got the trans thing under control my trans guy builds mine special for me he knows the strain i place on them the one on the left has a ford racing trans in it its a a4ld full blown all steal gears 3 coolers 5 gal of sytnetic fluid and special tork converter plus pump milled out for max flow at idle to keep the oil cool cost 3 grand but well worth it . Also my fab guy is going to reskin it and beef up the outside of the plows for the added stress of snow. And iam going to spring load the wing of some added flex. :gunsfiring:

5. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I have found that that the wings work best if the rubber edge is mounted so that it overlaps the steel cutting edge by about 1 inch. Once you start pushing snow it will pop over the end of the steel edge but will make a tight seal. If not when pushing straight you will leave trails on each side....

6. fernalddude

good point when i refab it during this summer i will look for a larger piece and udjust it thanks :waving:

7. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Fernald,
    Where are you located? I think I have seen your trucks around.
    I am up in fairfield township. :waving:

8. fernalddude

go cards!!!!!!!!!

hey iam in colerain but my lots are between rt 4 and 42 north and south of 275 but got some up in fairfield also and many more like in blue ash and sharonville so iam all over plus i got many in clifton its like 40 plus locations what are you driving and where are your lots???? :salute: hey welcome to plow site ...... :waving:

9. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Fernalddude, my hat is off to you. You know this business and it's very cool that put alot of yourself into your vehicles and your posts which are always helpful. I read one post from a woman in NJ who took over her deceased brother's business and she personally thanked you for your help.

I have sold out and have gone with later model equipment which gets the job done in an effective manner but it has lost the personal touch. Stay with it!

Live long and prosper!

10. fernalddude

Yes gpin little scoop is working so hard at this it just takes time just hope she wont let this get to her she had the probs with getting her plow off the other day so thanks and HOPE FOR SNOW :waving:

11. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Most of my lots are on Hamilton Ave and Colerain Ave. I only have 6 comm and growing, and 40 res. in pleasant run farms and fairfield. In clifton, wow! Now I understand why you have the b2's. No room anywhere down there! I am either driving my tan 4x4 f-250 w/ western 8' or my black 2wd 150 w/ 6'8" snowbear. Who do you get your salt through? I am just looking to get some more prices. I am paying $3.55 a 50lb bag now. Used to be $3, two months ago. :eek:
    Jim :waving:

12. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

How easy are the wings to take on and off. I do mostly driveways but i do have a couple of commercial accounts where the wings would work good. I wasn't sure exactly how they mount up. If they are easy on/off about how long would it take to do that.

13. fernalddude

istall guide

only 3 pins hold it on see if i can add the pic

wing.jpg

14. fernalddude

drott you are in my hip pocket i grew up in Mt. Healthy so iam in the area if you need some help call me 404-0869 or just give me a buz might wana give ya some work :waving:

15. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I am always looking for more work. Maybe we can meet and grab lunch or something :drinkup: to shoot the sh!t. :waving:

16. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Wings will bend

purchased a pair of Buyer wings from Northern Tool for around $200. Installed them on my 8.2" Boss V. After the first use the rubber cutting edge bent back and no longer touched the ground. I solved that problem by welding some 1/2" steel plate to bottom of the wings in place of the rubber. The second use the wing itself bent back, the new steel plate I used no longer touched the ground again and the wing itself was bent across the center. The steel they use is very thin. I do plow parking lots with curbs and windrow snow banks back but never hit either one very hard. I did find a curb "very slow roll" and that did the damage on one side. I did not hit very hard. I have done this many times with my Boss for years. I bent the other side by windrowing a semi frozen bank. So I had to take the wings of completely and redo everything. Cut the factory mounting plates off, welded 1" solid square stock to side of plow and to wing from a straight position and angled. Weld square stock to back of wing vertically for support. My point here is this, if you are going to use wings for any plowing and expect them to work you will have to rebuild the wings or build your own from scratch. For $200 Buyers could make a better wing! I spent about $100 on materials to remake correctly. Any one else have the same problems?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005