1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got my wings today

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I decided to try a set of Fisher wings for my 8.6 Extreme V. I'm hoping they serve me well and save me some time. I had to buy a new cutting edge along with it, my old one was worn about half way. I will say these things added quite a bit of weight, now my plow drops and bounces off the pavement, I will be adjusting the plow tomorrow. Time will tell if they're worth the 1k investment. Wings were about 525.00 plus 75.00 for freight, new cutting edge was just over 300.00 and a half hour of labor, plus tax was 1036.00 YIKES! Everyone says its money well spent but my thought was after the first 10+" storm we had so far this year I would have liked to have finished up about an hour before we did. We handled it but was almost going to call a friend who wanted to plow for us when it gets bad (which it was) but didnt want to call him out for only an hour or so. I figured these will pay for them selves in about 4 decent storms between my rig saving me hopefully around an hour and not having to call out another sub saving me about 150-160 bucks a storm.

2. ygim

ygim Member

Put some pictures up

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

He didn't buy them,because we can't see them.

4. Brian Young

Sorry for the lack of pics but I have to wash her first. I dont want you guys making fun of me.

5. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I CANT BELIEVE YOU POSTED THIS WITHOUT PICS..:rolleyes:

6. grandview

7. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

Useless thread.....................No Pictures........:jester:

8. MR. Elite

MR. Elite Senior Member
    from E Town

Dirty or not, I say..... PICS OR BAN!!! LOL
    Congrats on (purchase) But i think U may get made fun of more with no pics...?? We all need something to look at since there is no snow.

9. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I was considering a set for my Xtreme V...I plow 3 larger sized parking lots and a 10.5' plow has to be better than a 9.5' plow, right?

10. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Na, might as well plow it with a ranger and a 6.5' plow.

11. Brian Young

As usual I will get my review on here like I like to do,lol. It wont be just a one liner. After our last storm I was at a large parking lot we do and I was scrapping up some icy slush and seems like I was chasing these rows around half the lot. I will get some pics or video pushing snow with and without the wings to see the difference first hand. One nice thing is they come right off with the pull of a pin.

12. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Big tease. It's not snowing and you want to talk about your attachments and then don't show us pics? The nerve. :gunsfiring:

13. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't bounce them off any curbs Brian. Those pins have a tendency to bend and break if you hit anything. I have a friend who had to have his welded about four or five times in one season cuz the idiot who drove the truck kept hitting stuff. Needless to day, that drivers services were no longer needed.

14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Give you a good tip You can buy the Thick poly edges in long sticks from rubbercal.com
    You will save about half what they want for replacement from the factory But you have to buy 6' at a time and cut it to length drill your holes
    Thinking last time I bought factory edges for my wings They was $75 thats been 8yrs ago I dont know what they sell for now
    So every time you replace your cutting edge now will cost you 375-400

I do this since I build my own cutting edges 5/8''x8'' so I have to buy my wing edges 8'' stock
    Everytime I replace my edges I only spend about 200 each time on my 9.6MPV

15. Brian Young

Well after several long hard hours of use here's my review....for whats its worth. First off I think they look good being yellow and all. But on a serious note, in short, maybe if they were somewhere in the ball park of 300ish then just maybe. After plowing with them for roughly 60hrs they seem to have a TON of play to the point where there's a 2-3" gap while plowing. The bottom pins are bent, now I dont know if they came like that or under the stress of the heavy snows we've had bent them, either way there's too much play. They did help keeping trail off in check most of the time and I'm sure they held more snow while in scoop but much more than just with the blade, tough to say. I am going to drill out 2 holes per side and either run all thread or just a long bolt through to try to keep them from flaring out so much and keep them tight against the plow frame. I will say ever since the new cutting edge and these wings installed it doesn't scrape like the old edge did. I'm thinking it might take 2 average seasons to pay them off. As soon as I get a chance I can post some pics of my cure/repair.

16. grandview

This story is only good if it had pixs. Time to ban!

17. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

What are these wings you speak of?

:popcorn::popcorn:

18. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Bump......for some pics.....I am considering wings for my 8'2" Boss V-XT....

19. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

I have a 8ft straight blade and thinking of getting the boss wings.. making it 10 ft
    the fisher/western wings are on 6inches each side and the boss are 12" each wing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu7BiTG5ajg

20. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

First off, the wings are junk, IMHO.... At least the western ones are. I've gone through six sets of them.....(not me personally, my guys).... I've got them sitting on a pallet in the corner of my shop waiting for me to swallow the lump in my throat and scrap them. Bent to hell and back, pins sheared off, never liked how they left a line of snow.....

Secondly..... What part of NW PA?