1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got my v-plow on! PICS

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Onebadbowtie86, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Onebadbowtie86

Onebadbowtie86 Senior Member

Thanks for the help every one, especially B&B! Everything works great and the truck handles the plow very well, Barely squats!

I need a new, BIG battery though. the truck only has a single battery though, any suggestions?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Put a dual battery in on the other side.

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

And get the yellow top optimas. They are deep cycles.

4. Onebadbowtie86

What do I need to install a second battery? What would be the best battery to run if I only run one?

5. srlovett

srlovett Junior Member
    from OHIO

6. srlovett

srlovett Junior Member
    from OHIO

Or any other bracket pictures you may have installed would be helpful... Im installing same plow on a 2000 Classic body style, and had questions. Thanks!

7. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

hey I have a batteries plus deep cycle battery and it has more crankin power,and abetter warrenty and it was alot cheaper to buy than the optima yellow top.If you have a BATTERIES PLUS STORE around by you or up there or even on line I would look in to it also you could just increase your alt size to a bigger one hope this might help you thanx d mac ..

8. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Oh ya almost forgot super nice ride and set up

9. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Why would you need another battery? It does not look like you are running any extra lights, just the plow. I would just install a single good battery and be done with it, assuming of course that your alt is good.

10. ajslands

I'll be it'll go midway through the snowplowing year!

11. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

good looking rig. you can also like you said originally get a 850 - 950 cc industrial battery. the tsc ones arent bad. you will just have to make more room for it.

12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

It seems every year I say this,lol. You need a battery with a HIGH RESERVE CAPACITY. You can have all cc's you want but to keep the lights from dimming so much or running extra lights etc. you will need more juice in reserve. The yellow Optimas are good, at least they seem popular but I just have a Ford Motorcraft in my Ford, it has a very high reserve capacity and even with running my plow, strobe light, extra reverse lights and salt spreader, nothing slows down or dims hardly at all. Another thing that will drain the alt. and battery is running the heater fan on high settings when plowing. P.S. looks sharp, good luck with her.

13. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

I've run a single battery on my truck with a 130 amp alt for 3 years now and it's fine. It runs the heater, the radio, my Sirius, an overhead mini rotator, 2 back up lights and the plow. I never have a problem. I have a Deka BTW, with I want to say 880 CCAs.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  14. ajslands

My alternator went at a 100,000 miles and that was last year, same year I had my plow on. I have dual batteries too.

15. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

sweet looking truck man, did you add any timbrens or crank the t-bars?

16. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Well, lookie there,.... your truck is almost a spittin' image of mine,... other than the hood & matching-colored fender flares. (Plus, I think you changed the side badge, since there were no "2500HD" trucks like that). What year & what engine do you have? You have the same plow, and even have the same rims I do. As far as dual batteries go, take a trip to your local junk yard (s), and look around thru all the 96-98 pickups, Suburbans, Tahoes, Yukons, etc, etc, until you find an aux battery tray in something,... since they all have the same engine room layouts,... it will be on the driver's side towards the front,... I found one in a '98 Tahoe for my '00 truck ($10). The pre-Vortex models have a steel tray, so that won't work in the later models that use a plastic one. (Assuming your truck is '96 or later). Make sure you get/find the battery clamp-down bar too. The batteries I use now that I like the best are the 1000cca 4-post units sold at O'Reily's (I think that's where I found them,.... they have both top & side terminals, so you have plenty of options to attach things to them without having to pile everything on top of each other with only one post). Your plow motor will draw more amps than all your lights, heater, radios, etc put together x 2,.... so IMO, if you generally make short pushes & are constantly lifting & angling your plow every which way, then a dual battery/bigger alternator is important. However, if most of your plowing is long, steady pushes, such as windrowing roads, then all this is not quite as urgent, as you are able to give your battery more time to recover. Plus, you have a lot more cranking power on those sub-zero mornings with dual batteries, if the trucks sits outside overnight (very important where I live). Good luck with it,... I know I sure have,... :salute:

snogo 10.JPG

17. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

love that body style truck, if i cant find the dmax im looking for than thats my next option 3500 srw. nice trucks guys!

18. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

How many years have you been plowing with that truck?

19. Onebadbowtie86

Thanks for the compliments every one.

The only thing I did to the front suspension was turned the bars up a little bit so the truck sat level.

The truck already has a second battery tray in it, but I dont see any wiring any where for another battery??? If I get two top post batters all's I have to do is hook the positives and negatives together?

Yes Alaska boss are trucks are almost twins! This truck is a '98 with the 5.7 vortec. Those arent the original badges, I bought the truck pretty trashed with a blown transfer case and about 100 other little problems and redid the entire truck this year to use for a work/plow truck. I just took this plow off my duramax I'm just keeping for "nice" truck even though its going to be 7 years old.

Heres what the truck looked like when I got it and a picture of my other truck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Onebadbowtie86