1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got my new truck, it broke already

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by birddseedd, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

Got the gas 02 F350. Sits effin high, litterally have to climb into it. its awesome. cant wait to fill the bed full of stuff.

The tensioner pulley went out on the way home, I made it home. Its an easy fix. I discovered a leaking seal in the front diff. at least i hope its the diff, its good and went, rust and gunk around the seal and i cant find anything wet above it. Seal should be cheap.

4x4 light won't go off, 4x4 works, but as fords are, effing annoying, i miss my dodge.

no ac :realmad:

one of the feet of the ultra mount is broken, will be a chinch to weld back into place and grind smooth.

think it needs shocks as it vibrates on the highway.

a little work to do on it, but itl be more reliable than my truck by far.

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

it starts already...... good luck with this one bird, hope you does you good, what about a plow?

3. birddseedd

Came with an ultramount. 7.5 with some old pro wings i can install.

what do you mean by "it starts already"?

4. BC Handyman

I mean the saga of your new truck of course. 7.5 with wings, gas 250....good job Bird, what you pay? under your $6500 budget? you can't just tell us you got a new truck & plow, you got to post pics of her, him, it.

5. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Vibrating down the highway isn't shocks. It's either tire road force/balance issues or u-joints.

6. wils5150

wils5150 Member
    from mass

think it needs shocks as it vibrates on the highway.

It could also be the steering stabilizer if it has one . Bad tires will do this too

7. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Just order a replacement foot and keep the mount quick and functional.

8. birddseedd

oh. yea.i can see why some companies buy all new equipment, trucks and all, brand new every 2 years. used is always a head ach.

350, not 250

paid 8500 total. since it came with the plow. ultra mount will be nice. might take it off and on just for kicks. see if i can do it under 2 minutes :p

I would like to switch it out for an 8'. but i can deal with it this year. although by the time im ready for a bigger plow, i might simply upgrade to a much newer truck.

9. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

You start pushing snow, and you will never want to drive that Dodge again.

First chance you get, dump that girl plow for a 9' Fisher.

10. birddseedd

Thats the weird part, the 4x4 is off. can spin the back wheels and front don't move. even have the lockers off. and in 4x4 it vibrates at 50 mph, without 4x4 it starts at 65.

im gonna take it to my mechanic to have a look over. i know the shocks need replacing, but he will be able to tell me what all it needs.

oh, forgot, plow has a leaky fitting. will have my shop heat it up then i should be able to replace it for a few bucks. all the rest looked to be fine.

11. birddseedd

suppose i could do that and then have one of my subs do the drives. would get done quicker. but after the repairs im not sure i want to invest more this year.

12. BC Handyman

yes sorry 350, ya i'd buy new every 3-4 years if I could afford it.
    8500, that sounds good & affordable, I almost timed myself putting on my plow yesterday aswell, glad i didnt caus eI couldnt push into it cause of the ice on the road.
    Post up those pics Bird, we all want to see it!!!

13. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

It's all leaf springs on that thing, shocks last forever on that kind of suspension.

14. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Agreed, we want to see pics. Could you start up a new thread and title it something like "my new f-350"? Hope you have good luck with it.

15. wils5150

wils5150 Member
    from mass

Mine is all leafs and the shocks didn't last forever. I changed them at 80,000 and it rides 100% better.

16. birddseedd

Ill check that in a few when i go out to get some pics. was pretty late when i got back.

im a little confsued about the lockers. with the lockers off, the hubs are compleetly disconnected from the drive train correct? even in 4x4, the axle will spin, but the wheel will not. ?

if so, what is the point in having them. im told it saves gas, but, if your diff is disconnected from the drive chain, it doesnt matter if the diff spins, from inertia, its disconnected from the drive train, it has 0 load on the engine. the only gas savings (im told this is fords reason for them) would be friction inside the diff.

:confused::confused::confused:

17. wils5150

wils5150 Member
    from mass

be thankfull you have manual hubs.

18. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

My truck did that too, It ended up just being a 4x4 actuator motor or something, it wasnt the kind with the lever on the floor though. What is the truck more specifically? miles and configuration

19. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

and the other things are all things that you should have checked before buying it

20. birddseedd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.