1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got my new Fisher today!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MsQueen, Nov 10, 2003.

1. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

Hello all,
    Got my new 7.6 RD today, boy are those two pins hard to disengage or what? I'm hoping they ease up with time (tons of grease on them in the meantime). The problem is that I am too short to get leverage from in front of the plow to push back the frame far enough. I'm hoping they ease up...anyone else ever had that problem? Anyone have any suggestions except to grow 4 more inches?:eek:

2. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

Did you get the MM2 or MM1? If it is brand new you should have received a MM2. If so No matter how tall you are you should be able to remove the plow from the truck no problem. Let me know which unit you have so i can better assist you.

3. WOOFSPLOW

WOOFSPLOW Member

I also have a problem with mine. Block under the blade so when it's lowered it sits off the ground. This will take some pressure off the the assembly and the pins will be easier to move. I understand there is a tool that Fisher has for these pins but I have never seen. Happy Plowing!:waving:

4. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

I have the MM2. The reason I mention my height is that when standing in front of the blade and reaching over is a stretch for me so when I have to rock the frame slightly I can't get good leverage.

What does Woofsplow mean by putting blocks under the blade? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the floor jack?

Thanks to all,
    MsQueen

5. Maine Plow Man

Maine Plow Man Junior Member

Make sure the two pins are well greased. When pulling down on the handle, put your left hand on top of the tubular headgear structure, just above the yellow lift arm, and give it a slight push up. This will take the "load" off the connecting pins, as you disconnect them.

6. Brian Simmons

the tool woofsplow is talking about is the release bar. It is used for MM1 only. The block he is talking about just lifts the blade a little higher to assist with taking the plow off. When you park the plow you should make sure the lift arm is all the way down before shutting the key off. Having the lift arm all of the way down allows there to be slack in the chain, So you can push the headgear back to unload the weight of of the pins. In your case with the MM2 if you cannot reach the headgear you can as a few people have done is make a bar with a u bracket welded to it about a foot long or so, to reach the headgear.

7. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Be sure to give the spring time enough to collapse the lift ram to give the chain slack before shutting the truck off,if there is any tension at all on the chain it will be difficult at best to unlock the pins.

8. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

Not to repeat Arc Burn, but make sure you hold the down button long enough for the green float light to come on - assuming you have the fishstick - then wait for the lift ram to retract.
    Bill

9. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

i have done that with the float to make certain it's all the way down. I bet that the pins and stuff are just too new and it needs to be worked in some. Thanks to all for the good info. I would be interested in the "u" extension.

10. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I have a MM1 and never grease the pins. I do like said before a push on the yellow a-frame with one hand and pull the pin with the other, repeat for other pin. Never bound up at all. Check to see that everything is lined up and installed correctly.

11. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

I agree, I always push the headgearback to relieve pressure and pull pin with other hand.

12. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

I've addressed this problem in the past so here it goes again:
    Try all of the above advice as well and in the meantime get your booty to a hardware store and buy two "cold shuts" used on chains. They look like this. I believe a shut for the MM1 will require an eye opening of 3/8". Can't remember exact one but, you need the size that will clear the 90° bend of that grab loop on the pins, so the cold shut will slip onto it and beyond the 90° bend. Install the shut on that thin rod that you normally use to grasp and pull the pins out. What you will have is extra leverage provided by the shut and you won't have to have pull as horizontally as well. It's a bit more forgiving and gives more leverage while you are out front pushing back on the head-gear. You can also get a gloved finger or two into the cold shut versus that hopeless little grab bar on the pins. No grease on your fingers/gloves either since you are never touching the pin or the grab handle. Use slip-joint pliers to just slightly squeeze the cold shut enough so it doesn't vibrate off the pin's handle. If you run a span of steel cable or chain through each of the cold shuts and padlock the ends you will also secure your plow when it's off the truck. The thief can't open the pins to mount it. Of course that's not to say they can't lift it into a bed with some help! Hope this helps some of you!

13. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

:eek: I thought it was ONLY me who struggled with those pins! I'm glad I have company. I love my Fisher but I hate taking the plow off! I have this plow since 1996 and it seems lately it has been easier but I find it best to have my Wife in the truck backing it up as I push and pull (the pins). I tried it once without my Wife and I was alble to jump in the truck before I took my fence out. Pretty stupid of me but I got desparate. I'd love the tool if anyone has more info! :)

14. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

The tool is called a release rod. Basically all it is is a pipe with a 5/16" bolt welded on the end. You rest it on top of the a-frame and insert it into one of the holes in the jack stand and pry the headgear up to release the tension on the pins. It works great as long as you have slack in the chain. This is for the MM 1 only. You should have received one with the plow.

15. Brian Simmons

the part number for the release rods is a 8551

16. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

I dunno about all these MM1 problems with the release pins going on here. Unless guys are parking them on uneven ground or whatever. I find that the key to easy removal is making sure the parking stand height is properly set and the lift cyl. is retracted. If so, then it doesn't take much effort to push the headhear up and pull the pins out. A length of 2x4 cut to length used to wedge the headgear/frame against the moldboard at an upper spring mount will keep things in place and not flop around either for reattachment time.
    If the plow drops an inch or two as you remove it then you are going to have a devil of a time with those pins and reattaching it too.

17. pjaln

pjaln Junior Member
    from mass.

i have used the curved end of a crowbar or a hammer and just
    pry it out although lately i have been thinking of converting that fisher issued bar that we all use into some type of dent puller type of tool, how bout this , get a ten pound weight ,from a weightlifting set slide it up to the end off the fisher pull bar then slam it that should work like a dent puller and the pins should come out ......paul

18. WOOFSPLOW

WOOFSPLOW Member

On mine one pin comes out very easily - the other is another story. I have bent the small pin that hold the pin in place after it is released. I also broke a tooth off of a crow bar it was so tight. I am going to weld up a tool this weekend and see how it works. I a m thinking 1" dia. steel pipe or similar. I will try to post pictures if it works.:D

19. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

Are we all speaking about a MM1 or MM2? I'm confused. If Fisher knew there was a problem with this why didn't they perfect it?

20. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

MsQueen,the last few posts were MM1,make the stick you were talking about so you can push the headgear back while you pull the lever to release the pins,if you think this is tough you really wouldn't have liked the MM1:p