1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got My First V-Plow, any tips :)

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by gunsworth, Dec 5, 2011.

1. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

So excited, wanted one for years, just never could afford one. well I had a great year and was gonna buy a new straight 8 for my primary truck and move my old 7.5 boss to my seconday truck. well i was about to pull the trigger and today i found this for basically the same price (dealer got it last feb and sold the truck without it, so it has one month of use at the dealer) the plow looks flawless and i am so excited to use it. any advice, things to look out for/keep an eye on? what spare parts should i keep in the truck aside from the usual solenoid and hyd lines?

[​IMG]

heres a crappy quick pic i took

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I would suggest changing the fluid. Congrats on the plow.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Couple of springs and eye bolts.

4. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

yes fluid is first on my list, I know they can suck in moisture through the changing weather. and thanks granview, ill grab some of those as well, i think i have heard that can be a prob with these

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure the bolts are a little longer then the ones that are on there now,if not you would be able to put the spring on in the middle of the parking lot. And don't for get some washers and nuts.

6. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

congrats ! I think you will love having a v-plow and never go back, Best of luck to you this year.

7. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Grease all pivot points.

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Congrats! looks killer. I don't run Boss but a sub I have snapped a few springs so like Grandview said. I would also spray down all the exposed nuts and bolts and under the tower cover there is a ground, we had a Boss at a place I used to work at and that ground point rusted out.

9. jklawn&Plow

Is it the wing spring thing that brings you to the king of the trip spring thing.

10. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

im definitely gonna go over it and grease whatever i can (wish they would work in some zerk fittings... would help combat the rust too, thinking about maybe adding some myself)

also gonna pull the cover and put some dielectic on the connections, i know they get nasty under there, wish i would have done this right away with my straight blade, had to rewire the whole plow last year, wow lot of commas lol

Thanks guys!

11. jklawn&Plow

There's a thread on here where BB showed to add zerk to lower lift hinge pin since its a pain to take that one out.
    I just put together my first V have yet to plow with it. I really lubed up the center hinge pin. Not sure if I have to disasemble the whole plow to redo it again next or 2yrs from now? If the plow is on the truck and I just slide it out wonder if the plow will stay put enough?

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What do you think the grease hole in each and every wing eye is for? For pumping in grease with a needle adapter of course. They aren't there by accident. Thumbs Up

13. jklawn&Plow

Oh yeh, I saw on in the center section, did not notice is each blade hinge. Thanks for the info. Which company for Needle adapter? Did search, came up with Alemite? Walmart has an 18Gauge and Sears has a whole bunch. Any prefered option?

14. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

Also, if you are doing residential, remember, if you are in scoop the leading edges of the wings will exit the pavement sooner than you think. If you are like me and lift the blade as it exits the pavement(to prevent repairing sod in spring). You need to be aware of where the leading edge of your wings are.

15. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

I keep one of those cheap little ratchet straps in the truck at all times. It is good for pulling the springs over so you can hook the new eye bolts back up. I've snapped a bolt on the hydraulic cylinder to a wing once and it kept in place for the ride to the shop. I also have a mini propane torch kit I keep in the tool box, that has saved me on more than one occasion. MUD

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Doesn't matter where you purchase as most everyone carries them, but I prefer those that snap on and off an existing tip setup. Saves from having a dedicated gun or disassembling the hose each time. Like this:

Needle_Nose_Grease_Gun_Adapter.jpg

17. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

Also new to the boss v plows. Where other than the center pin should I grease?

18. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

My old boss came with a 2in ratchet strap and saved me a few times as well, i will definitely be bringing along one of those, good tip with the torch, i can only imagine how necessary that could be with frozen bolts. Fun part is gonna be packing all this behind my standard cab seats, i am always amazed in the spring at how much crap i fit back there lol

19. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

thats a very good tip, probably saved me some sod word with that one Thumbs Up

20. jklawn&Plow

Picked one up at Advanced auto today for $5. Thanks for the tip.