1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

got my first salt delivery

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Kramer, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Well, got my first salt delivery for this year.

Should last at least half the year. I might have ordered a little too much, but we'll see how the year goes.:rolleyes:

$63/ton.

salt pile 1.JPG

salt pile 3.JPG

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That's it? I use that much on my Fries!:rolleyes:

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's alot of salt, I thought your price for that much would be a little cheapers. How many thousand ton is there anyway?

4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

So was that delivered via cargo ship or what? Holy cow that's a lot of salt...and nice Bobcat on top of the pile :waving:

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I wonder if that road beside the first picture ever gets snow on it. That might last 1/2 the year if it is like last year.

6. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

First load eh' must have been a twin steer WesternStar, they(dot) wont let us cary that much in one load we would probably have to make 2or3 trips

Here is my salt pile i don't like tarps so i built a roof LOL

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah PJ likes to take pictures of peoples websites and say they are his own. LOL. BTW PowerJoke can I call you PJ.

9. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

lousy plagerist----Oh wait your talking about me;)

yea P.J. is O.K. heck that rhimes

I bet that Kramer And Fernalddude both load out of the same pile but fernalddude bags his firstLOL

Kramer how many tailgate hoppers do you have?

10. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

LOL
    He's got 25 mexicans running around with these things...
    [​IMG]

11. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

That's a HUGE pile of salt- how many tons was that? That had to be a lot of $$$$ to lay out for salt!

12. Lubold8431

Lubold8431 Member

OMG, that was the funniest thing... I just burst out laughing when I read that...

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We could call you worst things. It's only been the last 4 years that we have had a Coverall to store our salt in. Well we actually have 2, that hold around 150 ton each. For the 20 years before that all we used was big round bale tarps, which worked really well unless it was windy or snowing. When it would snow 6" or more you would spend an hour shovelling the tarp off and boy was that fun.

14. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Actually, there's 30 mexicans----a couple have to share a spreader. The last 2 just use the 5 gallon buckets and a soot shovel. But they get paid well.

Of course this thread is a joke---that's the salt supplier down the road...the pile is about 25 ft tall and 500 long, and then it takes an L shape. They bring it in on the train...the tracks are just out of the picture. That's a T300 on top of the pile--can't see it well, but that must take some stones to drive that thing up there. No idea how many tons are there but I guess a ton is just under a cobic yard so the pile is about 13,888 or so cubic yards. I didnt actually measure it for those who will ask! But 500 long x 30 wide by 25 tall....pretty big pile! And yeah, they get $63 /ton....so thats about $875,000 sitting there. I assume they do have to buy a new tarp once in a while.

15. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

You should of ran with it Kramer! We all just thought you were big time. You probably buy bags anyhow.

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I would have ran with it a little further, I was believing everthing. The Mexican's would like the Epoke drop spreader, they work better with bulk salt. LOL

17. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

thats a lot of salt there i bet they have a lot to deal with with the DEP....and $63/ton is kind of expensive