1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got my first contract!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JeffNY, Nov 29, 2007.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

He just brought the papers into me, signed. It was a place I really wanted, butts up to our property. He said its too cheap though, and he tells me what they used to pay the last guy, but IMO, the last guy was a little carried away, its a 15min job, they were paying $750/yr. I charged $500, based on 10 plows. Oh well, this was my first real bid, so thats the price you pay for being a rookie.
    Im just glad I got it. Next year, +100.
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Good job :drinkup: Now just make sure you perform well enough so that they continue to use you year after year.
  3. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Congrats on getting you foot in the door. Back it up with great service and he'll be one of your best advertisements. Word of mouth goes a looong way!
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Congratulations. My advice in a situation like that is to accept his "help" graciously. He realizes you're new (even if you didn't tell him) and is wanting to feel superior. Let him, as long as it benefits you. Tell him you appreciate the extra $100 or whatever he offers. Take a lesson and go up on your estimates.
  5. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Great start! Get a few more and you'll have your plow covered in your first year. Hey where in NY are you? I love to see locals on here!
  6. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

you can always try to send him a fuel sur charge to get more money if you wanted, it should be in your contract
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I hope your joking!
  8. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

Congrats I remember our first contracts stress full couple of months but as long as you do good work they keep coming back no mater what your price is (with in reason) allot of our contracts were not the lowest price but our costumers keep coming back because they are happy with the service and cant justify saving some money to get some one else. Keep him happy and his mouth will be the biggest billboard you can buy plus its free. Good luck
  9. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

Congrats on your new contract! Just like everybody else said...prove to them that they won't EVER need anybody else. Especially on seasonal contracts, keep in close contact with the property owner throughout the season to make sure they are happy with how you are performing...it'll go a long way!