1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got my first acount.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by GMC3500, Dec 21, 2013.

1. GMC3500

GMC3500 Junior Member

just picked up part of a motel parking lot and the owner of the motel driveway, should be about half an hour of plowing, and getting 75 bucks for both together,
    Nick

2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Nice job. How many times do you have to plow it to cover your insurance?

3. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Part of the parking lot???

I know pricing is different everywhere, but $75 combined seems way too little for any part of NY.

4. GMC3500

GMC3500 Junior Member

the motel is a small business and is only open for a couple weeks in winter for the lake George winter carnival, so im only plowing up to the office and in front of a few rooms, as for the insurance that is still a work in progress.

5. GMC3500

GMC3500 Junior Member

do you guys have any recommendations for insurance that covers now removal, as well as lawn and landscaping?

6. Sawboy

Not good :nono:

7. Sawboy

It's General Liability insurance for contractors. Contact your auto insurance agent for recommendations. Also, a search on the site will bring up a ton. Use your state as part of the search to narrow the results a little better.

8. Sawboy

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  9. GMC3500

GMC3500 Junior Member

WOW. Insurance is a lot more than I figured but I can only imagine what it would cost cause im only 18,both of my trucks are on my dads insurance and my 1 ton he says is commercially insured. but I don't have any liability.

10. Sawboy

Someone slips and falls, your dad is liable and completely unprotected. Go get insurance brother.

11. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Ya, doing a few driveways to get your feet wet is one thing, but doing a commercial is another, even if it's only open 1 day to 1 person...you think if they payed the hotel to stay there, & they fell on snow or ice, & wanted to sue, wheather you did a good job or not, you & your dad are on the hook, with no back up, 1 minor slip after court costs, fee's, you could be in it for half a mill, thats before any jugment against you, wich could bring another half a mill or more.....is that a chance you want to take for $75?

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like your ducks are wobbling a little.

13. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

O boy ..........

14. GMC3500

GMC3500 Junior Member

okay, if I get insurance will the trucks be part of the liability or is that separate from the liability?

15. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

separate,need GL and commercial auto

16. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Talk to an insurance agent, but yes you want the trucks to be under the policy as well. Meaning, any damage caused to property by your trucks or plows will be covered by your policy, along with any other liability from the services you've performed.

See GV's post above, we were responding at the same time.

17. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

You definitely need both COmmercial Auto and Gen Liabilty insurance.

18. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Really scary that he's trying to pick up jobs and doesn't even know what insurance he should have had prior to getting these jobs. I wonder if he even has a legal business started.

19. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

You knew what you were doing right off the bat? This is why we have forums such as plowsite.

20. Sawboy

Agreed. At least he's taking the advice and asking solid questions.