1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got my 35 Acre Contract

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MatthewG, Nov 10, 2012.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not really sure why I'm posting this, other than my girlfriend is as at work and I have noone, oops I mean nothing to do.

I signed a 35 acre contract, its 6 different industrial lots, some of you may remember seeing the pics I put up for bidding or machine questions. I don't doubt its one of the larger contracts in the Lehigh Valley.

We always hear "lost my contract to low baller", well I'm sick of that. The guy who did this before me did it for 10 years, he is a major company with 5 wheel loaders and 10 skid steers, year round maintenance.

The other night, when I was checking the lots, I saw the guys truck who did it before, parked close to some of my subs loaders, I swung in to have a chat with him.

Long story short, I had a talk with the competition, there's no doubt he wanted to punch me in the face, yes my price was lower, and yes all of my equipment and subs equipment is older, but I dont care.

There really is no punch line or moral to the story, just thought I would mention this and if I can do it, anyone can do this, as long as your heart is in it.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  2. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

That's business. Congradulations. I'm sure a lot of people will be calling you the L word, but screw them.If you can do it at a fair price, make a profit, and do the job successfully, then kiddos to you my friend.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Your buying us the beer tonight!
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It hasn't even snowed yet, hopefully you make out as well as you think your going to.
  5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I'm hope he does well too.

And you don't need to apologize for running older equipment. I have some older stuff too and at the end of the day you'd never know if one of my lots was cleared with a 20 year old Meyer blade or a brand new Western.
  6. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Congrats! Sounds like a great oppertunity. As long as your equipment isn't breaking down & leaving customers high & dry, who cares. Good luck this year!
  7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Well he did it 10yrs His crew knew the faster way to clean it

New lots fun learning the ins and outs of it

After the first year Then you can say ( I can do it) till then dont let it bite you in the rear
    My biggest one is 24 acres broke up 2 lots and main drives in and out
    First year was fun after that last 2 yrs My crew has its down pat everybody know what they need to do

Then you can pat your self on the back that you lowball a job and the price works for you

Good luck hope you have lots of snow
  8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

What goes around comes around. Next time it will happen to you and you'll want to punch the guy in the face. There is always someone willing to do it for less, just remember that. All it really does is drive prices down for everyone, that's why there are so many players in the snow game now. Good luck with it.
  9. streetscrapin16

streetscrapin16 Senior Member

Where did you find 35 acres around here?
  10. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

We will see a Post down the road....I got Lowballed on a 35 acre account.....:laughing:

Looks like someone is Trolling.........:nod:.....:laughing:
  11. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

As soon as this season is over, hit them with a 3 year contract before the others start sniffing around.
  12. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

More than likely the guy that lost the account is reeling trying to find work for his "newer equipment" and employees. I don't picture him as the type to browse plowsite and seek advice from teenagers with 7ft Snowbears on their daddy's S10 wondering how in the hell someone else can do it cheaper. If he's a decent sized outfit with dedicated equipment, he knows the costs and he knows damn well what the "new guy" is going to make or lose on the job.
    I get a kick out of guys bragging about how they stole an account from so and so with all this equipment, and yeah my stuff is older but I don't care, etc. All you're doing is justifying why fewer and fewer people are willing to invest and take risks by providing employment (not subs, actual employees with jobs) and dependable equipment so their company can provide quality, competitive service in an industry that steps back leaps and bounds every year. I personally hate reading threads like this. I'd much rather hear about the guy that landed the lot from X company after meeting with prospective client and explaining why his price was a little higher but the company really liked our work from the last few years and decided to stick with us.
    If a guy lands a 35 acre account from a guy who had it 10 yrs, we all know damn well why you got the bid.
  13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How many years is your contract?

Words of experience....
  14. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Lowballer?? :laughing:
  15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe. Or possibly the previous contractor was a little too comfortable with the situation and wasn't being as competitive as he needed to be. And maybe Matthew is the first guy to seriously bid a job of this size.

Just another viewpoint.....
  16. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Ya know guys.... I know Matt. Good guy just out there to make a buck like the rest of us. I think he's actually using one of my subs, another good guy out there that has a ton of older equipment that he maintains well. He didn't steal the job. He bid the job using his numbers and managed to grab it from the other guy. It's the way things work. Didn't see any braggin here either. Good for you Matt, hope it works out.
  17. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

And BTW if the old contractor is who I think it is, they are one of the higher priced contractors in the Lehigh Valley.
  18. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Whats wrong with higher priced contractors? If we didn't have a whole bunch of Matt's running around the snow removal industry would be still profitable. payup

No offense..... just saying.......
  19. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I think that's unfair to say, just cause the old guy had it for 10 years & lost it this year don't mean he "lowballed him" or even bid below him.
    I myself this year got the sidewalks for a Safeway. The guy before me had it for 6 years. first few years he was great, but as the years past he got sloppier, ie: piling snow against building, spot salting ect. They(safeway) talked to the guy but it was not up to par anymore. So i was offered the job this year for the same amount.
    On another one, Lawn side this time, the "big" lawn company in town was doing this old guys place for a few years(3-4) & the owner kept telling the company he didn't want them to come every week & he cant afford it, he wants a call in service, the company said ok, so instead of calling, the company would just show up every 2 weeks. Well for some reason the old man didn't tell them no every time they showed. He is on a fixed income & this went on for another 2 years with him being to timmid to tell the company they are only to come when he asks. he was dipping into his savings to pay them. Finally 2 years ago in the off season he called & hired me to do his lawn, just when he called, so after taking the who knows when he'll call attitude I gave him a price & he accepted it happily knowing he had to call me first.
    after a few weeks the old company came around wondering who cut the grass, they saw me, asked me if I had a contract with him, I said yes I do for X amount(dont know why I told him) he almost choked & yelled "wtf, I do it for $10 less, how the hell did you get it"
    I shrugged my shoulders & he tore outta there. The old man calls me every 12-17 days.
    So point is I got these jobs from long time contractors because they did not work to the clients wishes & expectations & I didn't "low ball", heck I'm making more then old guy in lawn case, & I still got job, so just because they is a new guy dont mean he is priced lower.:nod:
  20. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

quite a few around here, plus he said they are six different lots, so it's more like six 6-acre lots, so there's good amounts (especially when you go into industrial parks).