1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got me again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Scott's, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Just got word today I lost another bid on a huge shopping center. I was told to bid per plow and salt with a 1 inch trigger .I was told they went with a guy that bid 9 grand for the season I was like WTF? Then he tells me better luck next year. How can guys do it for that price including salt???? Well I have a bid in on another big lot with the same guy I just lost this bid to so lets see what happens. This keeps up Ill be doing driveways all winter.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How far off were you?
  3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

you guys dont get that much snow in Fremont do you? My dad use to teach there in my younger days. How big was the lot and what how much more were you?
  4. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

I bid per push wich is how I was told to bid and if I would fig out a seasonal deal I would of been way off . Looking at about 11 acre lot
  5. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Scotts. What are you going to use for equipment if you bring in any of these large accounts?

I know that with my equipment I can charge a little less than some other guys in my area, But its only because I can plow faster and more effictively than most other contractors. If you are using just one or two trucks and you are planning on doing 11 acre lots then you are a braver man than I.

For the record. I charge the standard rates per truck for my area. But I am a bit cheeper on my loaders.

Just trying to help.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Look at his sig. He's got a 20 foot pusher on his S-10. Shouldn't that handle just about anything?

Scott - sorry to hear you lost that bid. Might be worth calling the one you are still waiting on to make sure your bid matches his - Push/storm/season.
  7. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Although I agree with this statement to an extent, you paid more for that 'efficient" equipment thus you should be charging the same IMO. Not saying that you are, but so many of these guys are destroying this industry by taking the profit out of this business.
  8. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I am turning a good profit, I am just not greedy about it.

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Prices like this blow my mind. I'm used to seeing $75-100k seasonal prices. Here we're getting beat up too. Places claiming they can only budget $25k, then finding some lowlife to do it for $10-15k. Lobwllers don't realize they're hurting everyone................including themselves.
  10. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Not to mention the rear of this shopping center is stoned and the buildings are not straight, I believe there are 15-20 stores with dumpsters and loading docks. The guy that got the bid dosent do a good job at all he is a lower end fix it all guy durning the summer.
  11. 2low4nh

2low4nh Member
    from NH

he might not do a good job but he has 9 grand more in his pocket!!!! let him bust his ass for the money.
  12. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

are you to provide certif of insurance and work comp? did he? (make alot of money without paying for insurance:dizzy:)wesport
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  13. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

$9k in his pocket? probably be lucky to break even, if its an 11acre lot....unless he doesnt have insurance or employees. :rolleyes:
  14. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Well I would keep my phone on, im sure they will be calling you soon enought.

Thanks God, im on the other side of the state lol
  15. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Like I said you are probably not the problem, but there are those that are!
  16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

You can't seriously think that's the case. Bust his ass or not, there's no way a lowballer like that can provide the exceptional service that reputable companies offer. A guy in a truck (or 2) is a joke........no offense. There's no way it can get done in an efficiant enough manner to keep the customer happy. Wait till one screw up paired with a lawsuit. The lowballer will either be no where to be found, or will lose his house over a measly $9k.

Its usually the ones talking out their ass, or defending stuff like this, that have no experience in the field. Plowing snow, maybe some, but definately wet behind the ears when it comes to being in business.

I ran 5 trucks on a similar sized lot last year. 4 out of 5 were my trucks, one with me in it, and all were very efficiant drivers (or they wouldn't have been working for me). The month of January I paid out over $9k. That's one MONTH.

You have to realize that although it may be a 15-18 hour lot to push, you can't take that long to do it. Even with 2-3 trucks, it doesn't always divide where you want it. Sometimes a lot needs to be cleared by a certain time. 1-2 trucks would most likely fail at keeping it opened up in a pinch, let alone completing it and making it look good.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  17. APLC

APLC Senior Member

just remember brother it all comes around full circle that guy will run his self right in the unemployent line with those kind of prices:gunsfiring: then they will call you in an emergency then id charge more to clean his B.S. up. Its happening in michigan too i used to get 50+ for some small gas stations a few years ago now I have a hard time getting 40 JUST STAY POSITIVE MY FRIEND GOOD LUCK
  18. 2low4nh

2low4nh Member
    from NH

i was not standing up for the guy. he is prob a solo guy like me a 9k contract would be big money to me. maybe the guy has an airport size snowblower? im just saying everytime i come on here someone has a thread about lowballers. same with lawn site. everybody and there brother has a lawn mower or a plow they will all tryand make a quick buck. that is the nature of this line of work. its the same in all industries. My full time job is a mason/landscaper i dont get bent out of shape when someone comesin lower then me on a chimney job or a stone wall. some guys dont know whatthey are worth thats what im trying to say.
  19. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Depending on the type of tender/quote you never can be sure of what the bid really went for. Companies sometimes release inaccurate info in order to reduce the price, put downward pressure on us contractors to come in with lower bids the next time around. We all know what we need to earn a living with profit. And if my competition wants to works for less than me, fine , if I have a decent market share and making good money on them I ll just wait for the next opportunity
  20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear it.

This guy was probably on PS a week ago asking hourly rates, production rates, how much would you charge for this job etc.

I found out yesterday that I will likely be losing an account that we have serviced for over 10 years because we were 'significantly higher' than the lowest bidder. He is being forced to take low bids, although he wants us to remain the service provider. Not sure if he'll be able to swing it. I wasn't high bid either. All inclusive--plowing, walks, de-icing of lot and walks.

Wish I was rich like TCLA and could retire. Or 2COR.