1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got caught with my pants down!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TurfSolutionsMN, Oct 24, 2009.

1. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

Well yesterday some how we recieved around 2-3" of slush just in a small area. where are main contract is. I didn't have any equipment put on, some still needs to be picked up. I'm just glad what I did have was all serviced and ready to go :dizzy: The weather man said we were going to get around 3" of rain with temps in the mid 40's. Then the morning of the storm he dropped it to 3/4" of rain and for some reason we recieved all of the slush. It was funning to see the local DOT running up and down the roads with just the belly blades down.
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

sorry to hear that, i had a similar thing happen last year, we had one place that received 4+inches where everywhere else in the city only received a half inch or less, i had one really angry customer, until i drove him around the rest of the city and proved to him that the heavy snow was in a 4sq block area, it was just weird, but all around him only had a tiny amount of snow.
  3. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

welcome to the mid west
  4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I always dread that happening, glad you made out ok.
  5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

What end of town was this on?
  6. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

X2 on that. its the worst feeling when you have everything to do the job but you just dont have it ready to go.
  7. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

8. wizardsr

Wow. Yeah we had a little snow in the cities, but it didn't stick to anything but the grass and cars... Good thing too, the equipment is ready but the crews are not... Salt gets delivered this week as well as starting training for the new guys. It's a bit early for accumulating snow, but anything's possible if it comes hard enough and fast enough.
  9. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I have a buddy who works for the Mower county highway department and he sent me a picture of him plowing the roads down there. He said they had to scramble to get the blades put on so you're not the only one who got taken by surprise.
  10. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

We got 2-4" in Rochester on pavement all over. Hell of a storm
  11. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Definetely a weird year. It's snowed in the cities twice during the first half of October... only done that three times in sixty years. Average temp over this period was 47... normally 63.

We've got most of the equipment ready, and were called twice by a customer requesting salt already. If this pattern holds, winter will be hitting like a freight train.
  12. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

It was really funny seeing MNDOT going down I-90 with just belly blades
  13. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I've had two dreams that that has happened to me...in the past week. I wake up and look out the window to see if it is snowing.
  14. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

The bad part about that is, now I may look out my window and it might not be snowing and I will still be worried about the next town over.
  15. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

We just saw a few flurries mixed in with the rain here in Clear Lake.
  16. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

Most of us know how it feel to:

17. wizardsr

I heard 5 of the last 60 years, we've had early October snow. Of those 5, 4 ended up being heavier than average winters... We're almost ready, just need to finish training and staking. xysport