1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got Breakfast??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Jun 24, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

How many of you guys stop for breakfast say after 8, when the commercials are done for the most part.

We all take a breakfast break sometime between 8 and 10 every storm. Some guys go to a sit down type of dinner, and other end up at burger king, or McDonalds.

What about you guys?

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Well... since I'm a one-man operation, I just grab food when I get a chance. Although, I do think that after a long night of plowing, a break to get some grub would be a good idea.

3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

We plow the local diner, so that is our meeting place. We plow there early, like 4:30 AM so that it's opened up for the staff coming in at 5. Usually try to meet there about 7-7:30, when the traffic is worst on the roads. It's about impossible to plow productively for about an hour and a half in the morning, WAY too dangerous to be backing into the roads around here with all the SUV jockies heading for work. That way we can compare notes on who/where needs more attention, take on fuel (for ourselves) and watch traffic go by.
  4. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

I'm mostly on my way to work too by 8 am, fed and watered at home. But the other truck runs until noon to noon-thirty during a typical storm. He pulls it in at 8 am for grub for the same reason - too many corners with too many sleepy drivers on them. One batch of three accounts is on a blind hill - they get done at 5 am, early on the roster to make life that much safer.

If it is a bigger storm, we start earlier, and usually end up about 3/4 hour behind at 8 am. That particular job is protected from the traffic, to allow him to catch up, and eat on the run.
  5. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

We have to have our schools done by 7 am, the commercials by 8 am, We,ll take a skip through the apartment complexs before 8 to make sure tennants can get to work, and go back for clean up after 9 am when most of the cars are gone, we do the same with residentials, make sure they can get out if it's a heavy snow fall, and clean up later in the am. Then we hit a couple of secondary contracts that don't have to be done till later in the day, vacant houses that we do for a property management firm. So I,m lucky to get lunch. The trucks don't stop till they need fuel or attention. A sit down is rare, except in a light snow, where we may only do the schools and commercials, or just a salt application, then we're done by 7:30.

6. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Depending on how we are doing we usually stop and buy all the guys who can make it breakfast at a perkins.
  7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The comfort suites that we plow has a pretty good breakfast bar so we all hit that between 5-5.30 am, then plow straight through till we are done about noon. Then we all meet back at the pizza joint we plow.
    If its a afternoon storm we eat dinner at the pizza place as well.
  8. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I got into a good deal last season. Across the street from one of our contracts there's a "Subway" sandwich shop. They flagged me down one morning and asked if I could plow the lot (6 parking spaces). I offered to set them up with a contract but they said they had a limited budget for snow removal, and could I just do it for $20 cash and a sandwich? As it turned out, every time we were out they wanted it plowed anyway. I'd stop by around 10 a.m. when they opened, order my sub, and by the time it was ready I'd have the lot plowed.

Didn't I see one of you guys use the sig "Will plow for food"?
  9. GeoffD

I guess that goes more under got lunch?

10. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

I call my guys to find out if they have cleared the ways then its DUNKEN DONUTS time! Gotta get that Joe in your system. Lunch is a free for all they all go to different locations.
  11. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Hey digger, I like that idea, I may try it myself. :)

I usually just grab snacks (and cafeine) when refueling during the night/early morning. If it turns out that I am still out by afternoon, I'll stop for fast food. I don't stop till everything is done and I can go home and sleep. Early last December, I was out for 30 hours straight. I don't think I could have gone much longer...
    I sure hope we get another snow like that early this December.
  12. GeoffD

I know for a fact, that taking 20, or even as little as 10 mins is much easier on your body.

If its a day storm, and it starts in the early am. We all stop of lunch and sit down for 20 mins or so. Chances are if ends in mid afternoon, we will plow till we are done, which is generally around 11 PM or midnight.

If we have plowed all night, and the only thing we have left is our banks, and other late opening lots. we stop around 6 and sit down for a breakfast. Then go and finish those lots in an hour or so, and we are done. I just think everyone is less stress this way, and much easier to work with.

I think the weekend storms are the best, get the high priority stuff done, the places that are open. Take 10 or 20 mins for a break, and take your time on the places that are closed.

13. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Geoff wrote:

Not if you didn't eat when you went out a 3 a.m., and not if you usually eat a sandwich on your way to work as your breakfast anyway.

Besides, if, after you work all night you stop for a meal shortly before going home and going to bed I think you'd have to call that dinner, even if it is bacon and eggs. Now the question is, what do you call it when your significant other wakes you up at 5 p.m. for the roast beef and mashed potatoes she's made?

DaveK wrote:

My first (ever) night of plowing I thought the caffine would be a good idea so I grabbed a six pack of Dr. Pepper cans. Only drank three of them before I parked the truck--the other three I left on the seat. The temp went into the mid teens and stayed there. There's still Dr. Pepper spots all over the headliner of that truck...
  14. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

We live, we learn.

You haven't done that again, have you?
  15. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I'd have to say the favorite among my guys is McDonalds(only for breakfast). Wheather or not we're plowing. Only problem is after plowing all night I have a tendancy to pay for the food and start driving away before I even get the food. Happened twice last year, it's embarasing when someone chases you down the driveway with a bag of food. At night it's usualy a reasturant or diner, someplace we can sit down for a while since most of the commercials are closed.