1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got backed in to by the customer today!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by exmark1, Jan 19, 2009.

1. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I was plowing drifts out of a condo complex today and this old guy in a Lincoln backed straight out of his garage into the side of my 2001 Dodge truck... He said he expected there to be a drift (which is why we were there) and thought he needed to back out fast to not get stuck. We had been there 20 minutes with a piped cummins diesel plowing already so I can't see how he didn't here me!

At least he admitted he was at fault and was stupid for not looking when he backed out of the garage! Now I have to get my truck fixed, may just wait til spring!

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear about your truck. One of my biggest fears that I have when plowing apartment complexes is that people will drive into me.

It seems that as soon as I show up that's when people think they need to leave. I've had a few close calls but no collisions yet.

Got any pics of the damage?

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I had a lady back into my truck, which was parked in the street, with trailer attached, in October. HOW DID SHE NOT SEE THAT!!!!!!!!!!?????????????

I am waiting till Spring also.

4. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck Member

thats funny just yesterday i was at rite aid and just finished up and some guy backed into the passenger door of my 01 dode ram as i was walking in the store he also admitted fault but i think only because i saw him do it

5. Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday Member

Last year i had a young girl smash into my plow on a back road. Get this i saw her hit a mail box,bounce off garbage cans....slide side ways and slam into my plow. I watched all these because i stopped thats how long it took. She was maybe 17-18 and crying. I asked what the heck were you doing going that fast? She was going to work @ 6 am. Her car was screwed ...bent lower control arms...bent wheels. Get this she says i am ok so i will just go home.Sorry honey your going up to that house and tell them you wrecked there mail box and lawn. She did !!!
    Well long story short i called her Dad.Get this a friend i had lost contact with 10 years ago. Got her home and had the guys tow her car...My truck was fine. I now plow Pops store!!! Funny how some things work out.
    Dad says she is a real good kid and a hard worker....not something she really has to do as Dad is pretty well off.

6. zztarg

zztarg Member

Had a lady on a cell phone "not see" me, and a 30 foot trailer, driving down an interstate. She drove down the entrance ramp and right into the side of the trailer - said she wasn't expecting any traffic -- go figure...

7. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

I took a few passes down a guys driveway a couple years back middle of the day, had stopped snowing. Then backed I into into the road to let him move his van and Jeep Grand Cherokee. He drove the van out, parked it. Then backed the jeep out, cut the wheel pointing the rear toward me, nailed the throttle, and rammed right square into my plow. Pretty much wasted the whole rear of the jeep. Didn't do anything to my truck or plow. I tweaked out on him a bit, but he was so embarrassed I couldnt flip my cookies to bad. I told him not to worry about it. He gave me an extra $200 in his next payment in case anything was wrong with the truck, plus a note saying if I did find anything else and it was more than $200 he would be happy to pay for it.
    First time in 20 years I had a customer hit me. Had one park their car on a hill that I had already plowed, I finished the rest of the driveway. Was cahtting with him a little bit and, I feel a little bump to the other side of the truck. Get out to look. His car slid down the hill, and tagged my rear tire! No damage to either.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  8. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I've had a lot of close calls plowing condos, I know I'm due for a collision soon.

9. exmark1

No pictures yet but the estimate is for $3300.00 the situation was a long straight driveway with a 30 unit garage unit along it. The old man backed out right into my truck

10. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

they dont have to admit fault, as backing up in road is illegal here in ny anyways.

11. exmark1

This was a private driveway road in a condo complex... not sure if state road laws really apply to this.

12. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Not sure how this relates but.........

I was at a four way stop and making a turn just as another guy pulled up at the four way and I was already turing so my trailer hit him.

I motioned for him to pull over so I could get the information for insurance.

I completely ripped his bumper off and probably more.

He took off like a bat out of hell, probably drunk.

I hit him with this exact truck, trailer and cargo.

[​IMG]