1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got another Dogg Today

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Grassman09, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Picked up a SHPE2220 Looks like a great unit. A number of improvements over the probably soon to be discontinued SHPE2000. Looks like you could hold almost 3 yards in the sucker.

I like how the top screen comes off no need for a ratchet set like the other units. Think my SHPE 2000 might have only 2 or 3 of the 4 tabs that hold the top screen down. I found one of the ones that went missing in the spring when the snow piles melted.

Should hold a good 2 yards leveled possibly more.
    Glad it came with the non digital controller.
    Tie downs are allot beefier then the other units. Will they hold that's another story.
    Spinner is 14" as apposed to 12"
    Full flighted auger the whole length of salter and 2 geleasable bearing that look like you can get at any automotive parts store.

The Cons.

The power connections for the auger motor is way underneath the salter.
    They also do not look weather tight just the cable sides have a rubber seal in it and not the mating plug sides.

Spinner motor goes from a #10 wire from the motor to a #12 to the strain relief and metri pak connector and then main harness is back to #10 Wire. Don't see why they do that.
    Its like connecting 2 sections of 3" pipe then stepping down to 2" for 6" of length then back to 3". Same flow restricting effect. Cant say I've noticed it thou. But just upgraded my SHPE 2000 unit to proper wire and anderson connector in place of metripack connector.

Tarp doesn't fit snug onto salter. Snow can get up under it. I like to leave salt in the hopper in spring so I'm not firing up the skid steer for 15mins just to load a few buckets of salt everynite or load up night before. Yea I know one is not supposed to do that..

Bearings do not come greased from the factory or looks like its never seen grease. Nipple towards cab is behind a stainless steel shield which is screwed into the plastic. Wont be long till that will be loose esp since they want you to grease every 5 to 10hrs of use. You will also have to pull (if you do not have access to a chain lift or skid skeer this will be a fun task the salter is around 700lbs empty) the unit out a bit to gain access to the cover. You might have to unplug power to the unit as well which should be fun seeing as they are way under the unit.

Here are some pics.

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like a nice unit. How many do you have now?
  3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

What happened to your old one?
  4. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Looked on website and dont see. Is it the the new 2 yard? Havent seen them anywhere. How much? Where?
  5. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Looks good, how does the truck handle it when full? I like that clip system you have for your screen. Our new SHPE2000 came with bolts. What a pain!!

Yea Also curious where you got it? or where info is available on it?
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  6. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

When did these come out?
  7. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

that thing looks massive in that truck. we run heaped 1.5 yard spreaders on our 350's and with a load of salt they're definitely heavy, couldn't imagine have 2-3 yards of salt, or sand/salt back there. I'm not one to shy away from running a heavy truck, but damn that looks like too much weight up high for plowing.

are the screen clips that big of an issue? our grates use gravity to stay put... they never move, under our tarps.
  8. Grassman09

2 Salt Doggs 1 SHPE 2000 and this new one. Other salter is a Hydro tailgate style Swenson on a International 4700.

They call it a 2.25 and for some reason they do not have it on there website yet.

Here are some specs on the unit.
    You are buying a SHPE2250 Electric Hopper Spreader.

-2.25 cu. yd. capacity (rounded load)

-5.25" diameter auger x 1/4" (flighting) x 83" L
    (vs. SHPE2000 measurements of 2.5" x 1/8" x 38" L)

-Two, 1-1/8" auger bearings (SHPE2000 has one 1" auger bearing)

-400 lb vibrator (SHPE2000 is 200 lb)

-3/4 HP auger gear motor (SHPE2000 has 1/2 HP)

-60 Amp controller (vs. 40 Ampof the SHPE2000)

-14" diameter spinner (SHPE2000 has 12")

-Adjustable height spinner chute. 2-positions standard.

-Built-in tie down points (SHPE2000 has formed metal)

-Prewired harness and mounting provision for optional spinner light

other notes...

-Same top screens as the SHPE2000: 1/4" rod with 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" openings
    -Same "black" poly color.

Still figuring out where I will run the huge power wires. Might run them thru the rear cab vent instead of firewall. Truck has air bags out back and should handle the weight fine like my last truck did which was a 2500 this is a 350SRW lil bit of a difference. Wont load it to the tits and go plow, but if I have a yard or less in the hopper the blizzard plow isn't counter balanced and you do not have much traction on the rear wheels and will need 4WD to plow. I try to plow in 2WD. I usually load it full and then drop some at the site where my salt pile is then head out on the road just to be safe.

I bought it from Angelos in Michigan and it was direct shipped to me from buyers.
    More Info here

Just recently. Angelos will sell you one so will Jim from ESI Equipment a site sponsor as well.

Funny how buyers also shows it in a F150. Poor truck it would dwarf it.
  9. Grassman09

Here is the spinner MOD on the 2000. I had the 2 wires rub and short out on the harness side one day. Fixed it temporarily last year. Wondered why there was just a single line of salt all around the lot. lol.

The connectors here are packed with grease as well as the pins have dual wall heat shirk so no salt water get into the wire harness. You can de pin the connector and clean them when they get dirty and then pop them back in place.

10. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Very nice.......that will be the next one I buy most likely......
  11. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like some nice improvements over the SHPE2000. We got into some salt last year in ours that wanted to freeze up badly, so we ended up having to pull the screen a couple times to break it up. I was never fussy on that shallow slope from the front of the hopper towards the back, sometimes it would clear itself, sometimes it seemed to need help.

Looks like this has separate auger and spinner motors still?

I do think I preferred the SS frame etc of the spinner on the other ones better, but pictures are different than hands on, maybe this poly one is deceiving?
  12. dmontgomery

why they still put mild steel augers in these new unit is beyond me. I have heard that some new SD spreaders are coming with stainless augers.....
  13. Grassman09

Yup still separate auger/ spinner motors or else you wouldn't be able to pull the chute off. One needs all the power they can get with the electrics. Not sure if they upgraded the spinner motor. That would only make sense since you have a 3" bigger spinner.

I too found that that's where the salt sits the most on top of that slope. A vibrator should be added there.

The chute is all plastic but you have a stainless bracket that fits into the chute thats bolted on (maybe I should add some plate on the outside of the chute where the bolts go thru) and that is so that the chute slides into a slot and is then held on by those spring loaded D handle things.

A stainless auger wouldn't do much its not like these augers will rot out they might be made of cast material I'm not sure.
  14. Grassman09

How much does your stainless salter weigh in at? Thats prob why the truck feels overloaded with 2 yards on it. This unit in 200lbs heavier then there 2 Yard unit. Need to scale my truck and see actual weight.
  15. dmontgomery

well.....I have 2 - 2 yarders that have significant rust on the augers......I expect to have to replace them for next year......
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not sure if there's a custom auger shop around you but here we have a place and the Mennonites will build us anything we want. Well basically anything just an idea if you want stainless.

Nice looking salter Dave. On edit that auger is not cast.
  17. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Stay out of Toms neigbourhood with that. It looks a little big for the srw. MTO will look a little hard at you. What kind of aggregate will it handle...?lol
  18. dmontgomery

Basher is already checking into it........he says he has units in stock that have SS augers OME.......

19. Grassman09

Fine washed limestone. Thumbs Up I avoid MTO always at all costs. They will always find something on you if they are having a rough day.

For the shpe2000?
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  20. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

Looks good. I am going to have to ask you about the anderson connectors for my dogg .